1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SGD Neo Jazzbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RaginRog, Nov 7, 2010.

1. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I've always been a fan of Dimarzio Model J pickups, but I've recently become intrigued by a set of new J pickups. Unlike most humbucking Jazz pickups, which are split coil humbuckers, the SGD pickups have two coils that run the full length of the pickup enclosure. This gives it a sound that comes relatively close to imitating the Stingray tone, while still retaining some of the traditional Jazz humbucker tones. While loving the J & P bass sound, I've too loved the Stingray tone. This may give me the best of both worlds on my recently purchased Jazz bass. They also happen to be passive pickups. I just ordered a set, and can't wait for them to get here.

Has anyone put these in their Jazz bass? Did you wire them in passive, or do you have it set with an active preamp? What are your thoughts and opinions? I'm going to go passive at first, but may opt for an Audere preamp in the future.

I know there is an existing thread, but wanted to see if anyone had anything new to add.

Dave (owner) seems like a very nice guy, and spent the time responding to a few emails I sent.

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/ND3-J4.html

neojazzbuckerlayout.

2. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Those clips sound heavenly, too bad they're expensive.

3. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    pretty snazzy. If my wick wasnt loaded with expensive delanos. I would try these out in a sec; i am a gear geek!

4. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Yeah, I'm hoping I'll be happy with them. David (owner) said the output is very close to that of the Model J's.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    His pickups are very reasonably priced and he does custom work. His prices also align with Fralin, Nordstrand, Delano, SD Antiquities, and a few others.

6. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    I don't mean expensive in general, I mean expensive for ME.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I have one rule when it comes to pickups and hardware in a bass - don't settle. I'd rather spend $200 for a nice set of pickups now than to settle for an intermediary pickup until I can afford the ones I wanted all along.

8. I had them hooked in my old warmoth Jazz with an ACG preamp, it was such versatile setup that it was mind boggling.

The good thing about it is that they still give a Jazz like tone but with added flexibility, you can run each pickup in parallel, series and single since they have 2 side by side coils. I like them much better than the split J pickups because I don't hear a slight dip on the A string that you may get with these ( I hear it, I think David does too but most people are unaffected)
    They also fully potted and shielded and have a quick connect type connection for the leads.
    I think they should work very well with an Audere, and I am going to use them passive in my next bass.

9. +1.

Really, you can't beat $190 for a set of pickups.
    Especially custom wound humbucking J pickups.

10. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Very true. I'm quite happy with my Model Js, but am always up for trying something new. The tone these pickups have sound like they'd be a great fit for the band I'm in. They're actually cheaper than Fralins and Nordstrand humbucker pickups.

11. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Thanks Joey.

I too hear the slight dip, and have even adjusted the pole pieces on the Model Js in an attempt to even things out a bit, but the E is still prominent.

I'm going passive at first, but will consider an Audere (which I've had in the past) in the future. Maybe convince wifey for a X-mas gift! :D

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The dip you hear is due to the two halves of the pickup having opposite magnetic polarity, so you have a null spot between the two middle strings.

Delano has some pickups with the magnet being the same polarity on both sides, but then you can't use them with other pickups because half the strings will be out of phase.

These were some of the reasons I avoided split coil designs.

13. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm loving your pickup designs and audio samples. :)

14. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Dave,

What is the radius on a Neo Jazzbucker bridge pickup?

Thanks,
    Bryan

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The blades are flat on the top, but the magnetic field is stronger in the middle to compensate. They should work fine with a variety of radiuses.

16. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    I see. Well, I'm looking to have a bass built with a flat fingerboard...think classical guitar meets electric bass. I could see having the magnetic field stronger in the middle for a curved fingerboard...that is most electric basses.

17. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I use very flat fingerboards, so it will work fine. The difference in the field is very subtle.

18. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Dave,

Have you ever tried placing two ND3-J4s in a very close proximity to form a "quad-coil" type configuration? Come to think of it, your forthcoming SW4-J4s might be interesting to try this with.

19. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Just for fun, I stuck two of them in a five string soapbar case once. I can fit four in a MM case. So if can be done if someone wanted that.

The Sidewinders have two coils, but both will sound exactly the same if you solo them, because they are sensing the strings with the same blade. Two of those next to each other could form a fake humbucker, even though they are humbuckers. But you would get a fatter tone.

20. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Sweet. :cool:

Have you ever filled a request for wooden pickup covers?

What is the DC resistance on the new SW4-J4 bridge pickups? I'm thinking of placing two bridge Jazz Sidewinders in close proximity, somewhere around the traditional StingRay position, running them passive with the four individual coils in the following switchable combinations:

A+B (series)
    B+C (series)
    C+D (series)

Attached Files: