1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SGD Neo Pickups...Jazzbucker & MusicMan Wide 5!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by mmbongo, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Here we go with an absolutely outstanding set of pickups built for me by David at SGD Lutherie. I'm selling the 5 string bass I had them in and getting another 4. Otherwise, these would not be going anywhere.

Sale price:
    $160
    These will run you $210 from David, with a 2-3 month wait.

Trades:
    I need a set of soapbars for a Lakland 44-01. Bartolini MK4/MK5 are at the top of my list, as are SGD Sidewinders.
    But I'm open to hear about anything that will fit Bartolini MK1 routes, or could be fitted into MK1 sized covers.
    MK1's are 4.25" x 1.33"

I may also need a preamp. I love Audere. I love Aguilar. But I'm open to anything with at least 3 bands. Not sure I will need one, so my priority is with trading for pickups.

We have a Neo Jazzbucker, a single coil Jazz sized side-by-side humbucker. It kills.
    http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/ND3-J4.html

And we have a MM5 Wide Neo Humbucker. This is the 'wider' size used by Lakland, Brubaker, MTD, Carvin, and many others. David put extra long bobbins in it to cover 19mm string spacing, but of course since they are blades they work with anything 19mm and under.
    http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/ND3-M5.html

Both pickups have 4 conductor cable to satisfy your coil switching needs, and of course Neo magnets. Not much I can say about the sound, I guess they won't pass for vintage low output pickups, but other than that....they cover it. Very open sounding pickups with plenty of punch.

Please visit the links to David's information seen above. He has sound clips, measurements, explainations, you name it.

Please make sure these will fit in your bass! Check the measurements!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Did you have any sound clips? Also, what pre-amp were you running with that setup?

3. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I never did any recordings with the bass that these were in. I had both an EMG BQC and an Aguilar OBP-3 in it at different times, sounded great with both.

'Clarity' is the best word I can use. If your bass does not sound good when not plugged in, these will not fix it. But if your bass has rich and harmonic sounding woods, these will enhance that and you will be in tone heaven :)

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Would you split up the set?

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Questions answered via PM :)

6. mmbongo