SGD pickups : David Schwab's issues with taking money and not delivering

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by john turner, Dec 22, 2013.

1. I'm amazed that some people seem to state that in essence his problems stemmed from the fact that he was disorganized and devoid of business sense.

The root of his problem is that he was and is a calculating thief who would rip you off today with no remorse, if you gave him the chance.

Sixgunn and wcriley like this.
  2. Pete Greaves

Pete Greaves

May 1, 2014
    I never said any such thing "in essence", I stated that among other thing he is a bad business person. I also stated that he took multiple orders he was prepaid for that he never delivered on. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm sorry people have been made bitter by him, but my frank opinion is that some of the comments here are completely unnecessary. What I stated was the facts. As just one example, his sexuality has nothing to do with anyone except David Schwab.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Pretty much everything in Axstar's post is accurate.

4. Pete Greaves

Pete Greaves

May 1, 2014
    It may be, it's also unnecessary gossip - whether he is or is not undergoing gender reassignment is irrelevant to this thread, which was to warn people of Shwab's business practices and track whether anyone ever got anything resolved. I've had people on TalkBass that I have less than satisfactory business dealing with, that would not justify me digging up dirt on their personal lives and posting it here.

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Permanently banned from TalkBass. 'Nuff said?

BassikLee and Sixgunn like this.
  6. Pete Greaves

Pete Greaves

May 1, 2014
    No, not "Nuff said". I doubt he was banned for undergoing gender realignment, everything I have said still stands. All you do when you go on rants and post juicy tidbits about his personal life is make the core issue less relevant. The core issue is he took money from people, and by not delivering what they paid for he stole from them.

I am curious, I've never had to deal with him, surely there are enough folks now to lay charges against where he lives? Or if he took money cross-state you could probably even lay a federal complaint.

AltGrendel likes this.
  7. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    He was banned for his business practices. And for being a general A-hole on the forum. I doubt the good folks moderating ban for any alleged gender reassignment. Banned. 'Nuff said?

8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Directed by David Lynch, no doubt.

AltGrendel and mcnach like this.
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

More of a job for Cronenberg

10. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Lynch, Cronenberg are good choices, but I’d say Fellini would have been better at the task.

AltGrendel likes this.
  11. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland
    I think that's giving him too much credit. I don't think he was that well grounded in reality. More of a delusional narcissist, who lapsed into thievery. His excuses were just too weird and terrible to wash with anybody. In his own head he clearly thought the divorce/children/broken limbs/homeless stuff was going to buy him extra time and get people off his back!

There have been other luthiers, cab and amp builders (etc) who have either taken ridiculously long or totally failed to deliver. Being adept at making things doesn't automatically give you any sort of business skills, and some of these guys are just plain funny in the head. Ed Roman (RIP) made some phenomenally tacky instruments, pulled off some shady business moves and did some really hacky and insensitive luthiery while he was still alive. He also farted out pages and pages of crude html hatespeech on any given subject. There is a luthier called Zachary that is equally crazy. Neither ever got the memo to let the product speak for itself.

I backed out of a deal on a bass with an SGD pickup fitted. I'm sure it was a good pickup, but I'm not sure I want that black hole of karma in my house!

Sixgunn likes this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thank you for this. I'm not personally involved, so I wasn't about to read all 152 pages!

Condolences to those of you waiting. Similar condolences to all the honest/reliable small builders out there who might be losing business because bad actors such as this are scaring them away.

staccatogrowl and wcriley like this.
  13. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    If anyone wants cheering up, I invite you to peruse a PDF of what was probably the funniest entire magazine issue I had read in my young adult life when it first came out. One of the characters and the butt of all kinds of torture by the main teenage characters was a Schwab, which I can't help remembering this every time this thread reappeared. Apologies for being off topic and to the good Schwabs out there in the world.

Re-reading it now is interesting, any national magazine aimed at teenagers would be a lot more PC now than it was it the '70s.

National Lampoon, Welcome to the Utterly Monstrous, Mind Roasting Summer of O.C. and Stiggs :

http://www.oldhippie.com/ocnstigs/OC-Stiggs.pdf

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    GregC, Trabeen, JimmyM and 3 others like this.
  14. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    IMG_20170605_143132.

Axstar, BlueTalon, slowburnaz and 2 others like this.
  15. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Subbed.

16. Schwab never had that Dingwall in his hands, he just stole that picture off the net somewhere, it belongs to FullRangeBass, he's a member here and on the Dingwall forum, that's what the FRB is short for, Sheldon customized it for him, he has probably bought more Dingwalls then anyone so Sheldon goes the extra mile with his builds I'm sure.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Many (most?) of the photos Schwab posted in the Pickup Makers forum were either lifted from the net or, if they were taken by him, were taken long before he started building pickups commercially...even during the time frame when he was supposedly building/selling pickups for/to the general public. The photos he posted in that forum of instruments he supposedly built, repaired, or modified were taken LONG before his pickup making endeavors.

18. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    For those of you who thought SGD pickups were great:
    They may have been, but there could not have been much consistency from one pickup to the next. He guided and tensioned the wire onto the bobbins by hand. His winder was powered by a drill. Based on the few photos he posted in the Pickup Makers forum, his bobbins were crudely made...roughly cut from pieces of circuit board glued to the top and bottom of the steel pole pieces (often cut from generic steel bars from Lowes or Hone Depot). The only thing "professional" looking that he posted were the covers with the SGD logo that he outsourced.

Sixgunn likes this.
  19. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Well that's not true. David used premade bobbins most of the time and the bobbin itself has nothing to do with the pickup quality. Have a look at Lane Poor bobbins for example. Made of circuit board and afaik those pickups are highly graded. Hand guiding and tensioning works just fine. It's preferred by some pickup buyers as it's the way old Fender pickups were made. As long as you have accurate counter on your winder it can be powered with anything. David used Schatten winder powered with cordless drill. Steel used in pickup has nothing magical, it's just steel. Usually cheap steel has no other metals alloyed and is magnetically suitable for pickups. He knows a lot about pickups and has the skills to make great pickups. His business model just sucks big time. I'm not defending David's actions but it's not fair to say something that's not true.

Will_White and slowburnaz like this.
  20. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I stand somewhat corrected: He did mention a few times that he was buying prebuilt bobbins.
    But the photo he often posted showed one he'd poorly cut/shaped out of perfboard-type circuit board material. He seemed to be proud of it, despite the janky appearance.

I mentioned the drill-driven winder only as an example of how amateurish/janky his construction methods were.
    While I agree that some people seem to prefer hand guided/tensioned pickups, it's nearly impossible to be consistent from one coil to next without a LOT of practice and experience...something that, based on the small number of pickups Schwab seems to have ever sold, he didn't have.

There is a lot more to making consistent sounding pickups than the total number of turns. Lack of consistency was the main point of my post.

The steel (and other magnetically or electrically conductive material) is a major contributor to the "sound" of a pickup. By definition, steel always contains "other metals alloyed", otherwise it would be just iron. And the types and amounts of these alloys in pole pieces, base plates, different grades of alnico, etc., have a major influence on the "sound" of pickups. There is no way of knowing that the generic steel Schwab was using for blades was consistent, but it's not likely.

Sorry for the disruption. I'll leave now.