SGD pickups : David Schwab's issues with taking money and not delivering

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by john turner, Dec 22, 2013.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Have you made many pickups to back up your facts on materials and winding techniques? I don't find it difficult to wind consistent coils with hand feed and simple clamp tensioner. I got the impression that David has made quite a number of pickups and judging by the look of his coils his coils were fine. I guess the perfboard pickup you're referring is his multicoil prototype from -80 or so. That's the only perfboard pickup I remember he showed.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I agree with @MPU on this one. Plenty of the most sought after pickups are hand wound, if your technique is sound you will achieve consistent results. The fact that his winder is powered by a drill is no big deal either. A drill is nothing but an electric motor with a gear reduction, as long as his winder spins true and the counter is accurate I fail to see why it matters what powers is. The aesthetics of his bobbins do not matter at all considering his pickups were epoxy potted.

David is a thief and a liar, that's bad enough, but I don't think anyone here ever questioned his products quality.

Will_White likes this.
  3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    That’s the shame of it all. So much promise squandered.

BlueTalon likes this.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I still think drugs played a big part in his down fall

5. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Fwiw, I think that's why people bring up his personal choices. He was/is a mess, which is why he's not able to function in a reasonable manner. Symptoms related to whatever his core problem is. Or poor choices cascading into more poor choices...whatever. It's just a mess.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I think David was summed up best on the Fargo finale this week.

"He's like a fire door that leads to another fire."

8. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    The problem came down to quantity, not quality.

9. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Supporting Member

For those wishing to quibble about mythical quality of SGD Lutherie / David Schwab / SGD Pickups, consider this. Many Talkbass members paid plenty and received nothing. In this case quantity = 0, and subsequent quality = 0.

On a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being worst and 100 being best, SGD Lutherie / David Schwab / SGD Pickups are lower in quality than the worst of anything that was actually made.

10. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I hope everybody is looking at all the other options for pups - and there are many now.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yeah even if SGD's were available I don't think anybody would be considering them.

12. slowburnaz

slowburnaz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

Truth.

I, for one, actually learned quite a bit from David (and @MPU for that matter when it comes to my multi-coil pickups) over on the Pickup Winders forum that I've put toward winding my own. No question about the quality of the relatively few pickups that he actually finished.

seang15 likes this.
  13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    As long as he doesn't ask you for money you'll be ok.

Will_White likes this.
  14. big_teee

big_teee

Sep 16, 2014
    Mid-South USA
    I would like to comment on the consistency of hand wound pickup coils.
    This was talked about a little earlier in this thread.
    If you wind a lot, and run the winder at a consistent medium speed, use similar hand tension, very good consistent coils can be made.
    If you wind say, 10 coils all with 8,000 turns, same wire, same speed with same hand pressure?
    If they all read similar DCR Ohms, then they should all act and perform the same.
    All boutique shops use ready made bobbins, if those bobbins are available for a certain style of pickup.
    You get in to hand made bobbins when you try the unusual and not ready available pickups.
    Usually it will be with rod magnets, and made with forbon.
    Like multi-coils, certain sidewinder coils etc.
    Good Luck,
    Terry

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    orange joe, Toptube and ctmullins like this.
  15. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Multi-coils, you say? ;-)
    pickup_finished.

Now if I could just find a way to make some covers, or find someplace that could make them for me...

CocoaThumper and big_teee like this.
  16. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Cool! Have you tried any Music Man style pickup covers? Those things be huge - you can fit an awful lot in one of those.

17. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    This design is actually 2 inches wide, so it won't quite fit in a MM cover. I could alter it a bit so that it would, but the depth of the pickup is more of an issue... most MM covers I've found are actually pretty shallow. This design is just over 3/4" tall, whereas the MM covers I've seen are usually only about .63" - .64" tall. I guess it's not a huge issue, but if I want to encase the pickups in epoxy, those covers won't work.

18. big_teee

big_teee

Sep 16, 2014
    Mid-South USA
    I make my wahl type multi-coils, where they fit in a MM cover.
    For the one in the picture, (It looks great BTW), why not take some plastic, black forbon, or pickguard material?
    Cut and drill a top rectangle piece, and attach to the top of the coils.(I use a drill press, and a unibit)
    I wouldn't worry about a full cover, you won't see much of the sides of the pickup, when in the rout of the bass.
    It should look fine!
    GL,
    T

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    slowburnaz likes this.
  19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    This thread is starting to drift a bit.

Might want to start a new one on that build.

slowburnaz likes this.
  20. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    My bad for starting a highjack.