1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sgd sidewinders wide/plus pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by grey 7707, Jul 18, 2012.

1. grey 7707

grey 7707

Jul 10, 2012
    hi tb people, Long time reader first time poster. I recently ordered sgd sidewinders wide for my g&l l 5500. My dad got me the bass for my 16th birthday 19 years ago. I've had 3 different sets of emg's in it. Have always gotten compliments, but never really like to tone. But after 16 years, and the fact my dad got it for me , always come back to this bass. But I digress.

I was wondering if anyone with any experience of these pu's could shed some light.

Q1. Do they require 250 k pots for 500 k pots ?
    Q2. Should I wire them series or parallel, or put a push pull knob for both? Is it possible to do this passive.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Super excited to hear these pickups in action!

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You can use either one. I use 500k, but 250k works just fine.

The Sidewinders no longer come wired for this. They are wired in series. The reason is that in parallel the output is kind of low, and there's no need for single coil mode.

I can supply them with 4 conductor wiring is someone really wants it.

You can wire the two pickup in series with each other for a fatter darker tone.

3. grey 7707

grey 7707

Jul 10, 2012
    Thanks david for your reply. I posted on here to save you time, from what I hear you're pretty busy. Absolutely cannot wait to hear your work, but from your reviews and sound clips I'm sure I will be very pleased.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I am, and for those waiting for pickups, I'm working on them. I got very behind when I moved back on May 1st, but I'm getting caught up.

5. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    There is an SGD thread here in which several customers and interested prospects have posted. Not to mention, the man himself! Ive got some Sidewinders on order and when they arrive i plan to have a bit of a pow-wow in that thread with impressions and sound samples. I am so excited!

6. Seanith

Seanith

Jun 14, 2012
    David is helpful as all get out. I just ordered Deep neck/wide bridge winders and am stoked.