Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shaaweet, New Demeter in da house

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Feb 19, 2004.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Just scored a Demeter VTBP-201s. Got off of E-Bay. But the seller is in my area so he's going to drop it off at my house on his way home from work tomorrow. How sweet is that? :hyper: Can't wait to hear my SR5 through this into my
    PLX 1602 and into 2 EA VL 210Bs.
    Now, what to tell the wife :bag:

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just picked one up a few weeks ago. Im using it with Berg cabs and a Mackie power amp. Its the best sounding preamp Ive ever heard. Good score!

I noticed you play DB too. Check this out... I used to use a Raven Labs PMB II for a preamp with my upright and electric basses. Now I run my electric into one input on the Dem, the upright into the Raven into the other Dem input. Both basses have independent volume/tone and both run into the house through one XLR cable!!! I used it last night for the first time setup this way and I found it to be the prefect setup for acoustic/electric doubling. I highly recommend this because I think after some A/Bing I like the tone of the acoustic through the Raven a little better. May have something to do with my pickup (underwood) and the higher input impedance of the Raven. :bassist:

3. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned that your using a DB also. I've been trying to figure out a way to run both.

What I had come up with was using the new Full Circle pickup from Fishman into a pre (haven't decided which one yet) then run both the SR5 and the DB into an A/B box.

I think I like your idea better though. I'll have to think about it more.

When you switch from EB to DB and back do you have to tweek the Demeters EQ at all? Or does the Raven take care of your DBs' tone for you?

4. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I tried using a passive A/B box one time but it severey loaded the DB signal so I never used it again. IMO they are best suited for electric basses but I only tried the morley. The Raven EQ definitely takes care of my DB sound but I use EQ to accommodate room acoustics as opposed to making my bass sound different. No tweaking on the Dem is necessary at least not so far because it sounds absolutely amazing flat! Actually I use both units with flat EQ unless the room calls for a change.

The maj problem I found with the Dem in a live setup is that the XLR output post EQ uses the volume too and thats a real pain once you have your levels set at the PA but you need more volume in your rig or are changing volume from one bass to the next. The pre EQ output is not effected by any knobs or switches including the mute which is bad when you switch basses!! The way I connect them the signal to the house (using the pre EQ output on the Dem) can be turned down from the amp... the DB is muted at the Raven, the electric is turned down using the volume control on the bass.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

***GAS!***

Congrats! I played one up @Rudy's in NYC last November and almost bought it.

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Sounds good. How much did you get it for? I still can't decide between the VTBP and the HBP. :meh:

7. bkirk

bkirk

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hey Rick,
    Score! Way to go on the Demeter! :D
    I got one on ebay a while back too and have been thrilled with my new found sound. It has really evened out my fretless Jazz and breathed new life into the old P-bass.
    I'll be especially interested in how you like your total rig with the Demeter, the PLX and the EA cabs. I've been really wanting to get a CXL112 to go with mine and feel it might be just the ticket so I'll be looking forward to the report.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I got it for $450

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks, I'll let you know how it sounds with my set up.

10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks Metron, Looks like the PMB II is the way to go. What are your thoughts on the True Blue EQ?

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive never tried any of the other Raven products but after having used the PMB for a while I would not hesitate to give any of their stuff a try.

12. Rick
    Congradulations, I love my 201S with PLX2402. I put some NOS Telefunken Smooth Plates in and I love it even more. Sounds fantastic with my Bergie Cabs, NV610 and HT/EX112. Hey, I'm exactly 10 years older than you 9/21/51.... hoopee doo! Very cool day to be born, the weather is usually great!

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Hey thanks. Can't wait to hook it up.

Yep Sept. is one of my favorite months for weather.
    BTW Bill Murray was born on SEPT 21 also.

14. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey Big String how would you say the tubes you put in changes the character of the VTBP if at all? Also where did you get the NOS Telefunkens?

15. http://users.rcn.com/brentjes/bjtubes.htm
    Brent Jesse.

Generally my tone was better than the current "good" production tubes of today. The bottom was more solid and the highs buttery sweet never brittle. I had EH and JJ both very nice current productions. The EH was a little hotter but had some zing at the top I could do without. The JJ were pretty impressive but they AIN'T Tele's... I'm no expert on tubes by any means and if you do some searches there is a ton of strings on this subject that include Demeter preamps. I tried the Sovtek 5751 (30% less gain) but it went microphonic on me right away... I should have tried to get my money back or another tube, but it only cost me about $12.00 each. I paid lots of money for the Telefunken but I don't regret it so far. $130.00 a pair... yikes Please don't quote that price if you call Brent or anyone else because the NOS tubes vary for a number a reasons. That is what he had in stock at the time. Also don't be fooled by Tele imatations. There is raised shape diamond in the bottome of the tube glass that tells you it's authentic. I think there is a letter in the diamond too, I can't remember.... Still do more research before you spend.

16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks Big String!

17. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Well I've had it for the weekend now. I haven't gigged with it yet. But I really like it's tone. I was using an SWR SM400 as a pre. The difference is huge. The Demeter is very detailed but much smoother. Especially on the higher register. With the SWR I was constantly trying to tame the SR5's tone a bit. So lots of EQ. With the Demeter I'm getting the tone I want with everything set flat and just a touch of bass boost on the SR5. It's very deep and round but retains the detail and definition I like to have.
    I'm one happy camper.

18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Are the Smooth Plate telefunkens' the ones to get? Where did you get yours and how much? I want to throw one in my Ashdown ABM500 EVO and hear the difference. I'm told those are the best tubes to get. There are several varities I noticed, Diamond pattern, Flat pattern etc. How do I know which to get? and Where? Thanks! End of Hijack - PM me if you like. Thanks.

Ooops - just read the rest of the thread. Found Big Strings info regarding tubes. Thanks and nevermind!

19. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN