Shade for rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Dec 7, 2021.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    During these Covid times, the band has been practicing in the keyboardist's backyard. During one rehearsal, it was rather hot and my rig was in direct sun. At one point I had to remove my Korg AX1B as it was overheating and it occured to me that it couldn't be healthy for the rest of my rig either.

What are you guys using in such situations? Canopys/tarps aren't always available.

MAXSPINRUN and BasturdBlaster like this.
  2. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    If I was in that sort of a spot, the first thing I'd try is draping a white dishtowel over my amp to protect it. I'd need to make sure not to block the air intake and outlet so that the fan could do its thing, but a thin white towel would probably cut down on my amp acting like a solar panel.

When I used to play through an SWR SM-400, that head didn't have an internal cooling fan and the chassis acted as the amp's heat sink - the whole thing would get pretty toasty at a gig. So I got one of those little desk top fans and set it up to blow air across the back of the head while I played it to help with cooling. If you can't get the sun off of some of your gear, one of those little fans might be helpful.

abarson likes this.
  3. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Sporting goods houses have those lightweight silver Mylar/foil tarp thingies in the camping department -- I've thrown those things over audio consoles and keyboards for years. Even with canopies, you can end up in the direct sun as the day progresses, so it's not a bad idea to have one in your kit if you're going to be playing outdoors.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    BasturdBlaster likes this.