1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shadow 965 NFX buzzing cable socket

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Michal Herman, Feb 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    I have problem with Shadow 965 NFX pickup.
    I just installed pickup on my bass. It gives decent quality signal. But when I move cable (bend it away from bass) it starts to buzz.
    Even when I am playing and making louder note it starts to buzz. I tried 3 different cables - the same result. When I wrap cable around tailpiece, so cable is not moving, it helps.
    I will send it back for warranty check, but I have gig tomorrow and I want to use this pickup. My other bass is not in "gig condition".
    Any suggestions how to deal with this problem?

2. A common problem. Most probably it's not the jack but the PCB rattling inside the case.
    Open the case (four Philips screws on the bottom of the battery adapter) put some foam in (rubber foam or a similar strong foam is best), probably on top and bottom, experiment a bit, and close the case and tighten the screws. If there is still a buzz, there might be a nut around the jack that needs tightening.
    Usually this does the job.

This is a weak design point, but nothing that couldn't be cared of in a few minutes.

Try it and report if it has helped.

Michal Herman likes this.
  3. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    I don't think that's the case here. Sound is more "electrical" buzz, like the one get, when instrumental cable is not plugged. Also it happens when I pull cable gently away from bass when not playing.

4. I once had the cable of one of the foils breaking at the soldering points.
    You can quickly check that by removing one of them from the battery adapter. If it doesn't buzz with one of the small plugs removed, open the removed plug and resolder.

If it still buzzes with either of the small plugs removed, it's the battery adapter. Might be the battery cell clip or the output jack.
    You might want to remove the battery, pull the volume and tone knobs and open the adapter, maybe you can see what's wrong on the PCB, there is not much on it, but a bad soldering should be obvious. Maybe you can tighten the battery clip a bit too.

If nothing helps, send it in for replacement.

BTW, the pickup sounds better if you only connect the bass side foil. And the battery will last a bit longer too. If the higher strings are weak with one foil only the soundpost might be too close to the bridge. Use two foils then or let a luthier reposition the soundpost.