Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shaggy's Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I had the pleasure to catch Shaggy Saturday night. Shaggy's music, a reggae/pop/funk/R&B amalgam, made for a very spirited show in which he appeared as the opening act for the Back Street Boys. (Yeah, I actually went to a BSBs concert!)

Anyhoo, to get to the point. Shaggy's bassist started off with a six string bass. Wonderful tone. Halfway through the nearly one hour act, he switched to a black Steinberger XT series headless four string bass.

He had it fixed on a special strap and was able to make the entire bass spin complete revolutions in a ZZ Top style! Then sometimes he'd have it doing pendulum swing left and right, fretting notes with the bass pointed left, then right, but mostly left. That was so much fun to watch. Plus he had an excellent feel for both funk and reggae.

Shaggy introduced his band, but the eight year old girls who packed the arena to see the BSBs, were screaming so loud I couldn't hear the bass player's name. Those girls seemed to enjoy Shaggy tremendously, I guess thanks to his big MTV hits this year. Or maybe they were just gearing themselves up for the scream fest they put on when the BSBs started their two straight hours of song and dance.

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    There ought to be a law against that!!
    /lovebown

3. I saw him on a TV performance and he was playing a little ashbory...! It was cool, kinda had that reggae vibe. And the guitarist was playing one of those little folding travel guitars...hmm, Maybe their luggage got lost...haha...

4. I saw them on TV once, and the bassist was playing a beautiful conklin 7 string...maybe ir's JT after a vacation in Jamaica...lol

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    hey J.O. sounds like you had a fun time at the show...ive not seen bsb as of yet or Shaggy, but would like to. if you havent already seen nsync id recomend checking them out as well, their bass player is very good too.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Cass, you friggin crazy? I think it'd be cool to see NSync's bassist, but not a bunch of little screaming girls and especially not NSync, I'd rather spend the 30 dollars on some strings heh.

NSync makes me sick, they don't play instruments and they're commercially produced. I HATE commercially produced bands.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Nope not crazy at all, Ive seen Nsync a few times and each time Im more than impressed by the vocals, and musicianship going on behind them. I even think it's kinda cute the way the lil kids get all crazy over a bunch of guys that dont give a hoot about them.

It doesnt matter to me that they dont play thier own instraments on stage or not, I respect their vocal abilities as well. And know they have a real band going on behind them. But believe it or not they can actually play. Ive seen them do it at Pleasure Island back in the early 90's. Nsync is also the only boy band that I'm aware of that was'nt prefabricated by a record company. They actually put themselves together and went out seeking a record deal.

Technically speaking is'nt anything seen on mtv, or heard on your major radio stations commercial, if it wasnt it wouldnt be played would it?
    But different strokes for different folks.