Shakedown Street - Tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Ace123, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I need the tabulature for shakedown street and i can't figure it out for myself. My band is playing it but i don't know what to do so if someone could tab that out for me it would be well appreciated! THANK YOU!

2. Pmo

Pmo

May 28, 2017
    Hey man, I see this is a real old post - did you ever figure out Shakedown? I wanna learn it as well. Have seen a few tabs but they are confusing..

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    "Ace123 was last seen: Mar 26, 2012" :woot:

IMHO you couldn't learn Phil Lesh bass lines from tab even if could find them. For one, he never played any song the same way twice; for another, the crucial element is of his style is in the groove more than the note choices -- i.e., the way he plays in the rhythmic cracks.

Here's a video of a friend of mine playing Shakedown in a GD cover/tribute band. You can hear and see what he's doing pretty clearly most of the time, and I find his take on Lesh's playing to be more accessible than Phil's own playing. Maybe this will give you some ideas:

4. Pmo

Pmo

May 28, 2017
    Yup - I have found that tab is quite useless when it comes to Phil lines. I bought some sheet music for "I Know You Rider", which was equally worthless - gave me some reading practice, but the line on the sheet music didn't really resemble the way Phil plays it...

5. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    yeah Phil plays it all over and plays more of a lead bass than anyone Ive heard. Shakedown altho it sounds simple is a bit behind the guitar and drums and has a cool groover