Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 31, 2006.

1. I have to write an 8 page thesis paper for my social studies class on something in the time period 1400-1900 CE.

I was talking to my mom this morning about how some people don't think that Shakespeare wrote his plays. They think that it was some English Duke or whatever, and he didn't put his name on the plays because writing was looked down upon, and it wasn't acceptable for a noble to do such things. They speculate that he then passed the plays down to Shakespeare to put his name on and use to act out.

I thought that this would be a good topic for my thesis paper; that Shakespeare didn't write the plays acredited to him.

My mom said that someone wrote a book about this. Anyone know what book it is, or have any good websites for me to check out? It's kinda hard to find anything searching w/ google, as you can imagine.....:meh: :help:

Thanks all
  2. This is well-worn and exhausted territory. I'd pick another topic.
  3. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    To be fair, if you're in what? 10th grade? If you pick a position, either for or against the idea that it was him, that could be a good idea... it'd fill up that paper if you could support it.

You could do something on the caste system in medieval europe around that time.
  4. Not too sure about the duke part, but he did take plays from other writers and change em around a bit. He basically took a crappily written play with a good plot idea and rewrote it much better.

Picking another topic might be a good idea, because that one ^ does not deal so much with facts, as speculations; although I guess you could argue both sides...

As for other topics, try to think of something interesting/scandalous, it may be more fun. Henry the 8th? Changed the religion of england so he could divorce his first wife, then managed to behead/anull about 6 of his wives cause they couldn't give him a male heir.

Napoleon? Conquered most of Europe, lost largely because his troops got slowed down in the rain, and because he didn't personally lead the attack at waterloo? Something like that, it's been awhile but might be easier to do then shakespeare.
  5. really? I had never heard it before this morning. :confused:
  6. well if you are a sophomore or freshman in high school....I guess it depends on what classes you have, as to what you would study. Honors vs college prep, etc...
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I would argue that it relies more on the availability of credible sources than course level.
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My english class is called "Shakespeare". All we are learning about is Shakespeare and his plays for a whole semester.:crying:
  9. Do the War of the Three Henry's. Topic could be something along the lines of whether or not Henry of Navarre(I think he came out on top) was really fighting for religion or political power.

Or whether Napoleon was a Tyrant or a Hero for Europe, either side is very defendable, and if you went into detail you could get a good length paper out of it.

Just some ideas.

PS. Or do it on whether Martin Luther was pushed to the front of a religous movement, or did he go there by choice, or something like that.
  10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    While an interesting topic, it is indeed very well discussed. this shouldnt stop you from doing it, since i doubt your teacher will mind as long as you make a case for it. what may stop you from doing it is that something like that would be very difficult to argue, since i cant imagine there being a ton of proof against him being the author. also, you'd be wrong. According to my english prof, the whole thing was a farce and he did write the plays. and this prof is a major shakespeare buff with about 30 years experience teaching.

i think the napolean one is a great idea.

i would pick a shakespeare play, read it, and then create a thesis and defend that thesis through the use of quotes. its more theoretical, but your teach will be blown away by the fact that you actually voluntarily read a shakespeare play, and every bit of evidence for whatever your thesis may be is all in one place. othello would be my recommendation, and not to toot my own horn but the paper i wrote on it got me a 90 and was around 8 pages double spaced (2500 words i think)ish.
  11. Sorry, didn't realize you were in high school. Yeah, go for it I guess. Just don't try it in college.
  12. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    For laughs and kicks in high school - go for it.

At college you'd be strongly discouraged by a kind tutor, and laughed at by a harsh tutor.

That amount of evidence for Shakespeare writing his plays far outweighs the evidence of the nutjobs who say that he didn't.

If you wanted to write on something really interesting, then I'd get how of Viscountess
    Asquith's book Shadowplay: the Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare and write an essay exposing her for the completel nutjob that she is.
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sounds like Dan Brown alike stuff; did he or did he not write the plays? Heck, I even see a thriller by Dan Brown in the near future about Shakespeare :ninja:

And yes, it's been done to death.
  14. Damn, I thought that this was a really good find for a topic. :meh:
  15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    too bad a couple of thousands thought the same thing ;)
  16. +1 I agree that the idea is mostly BS, but the good part about something that lots has been written about is that you have lots of source material so you can build a very impressive bibliography. Good bibliographies earn lots of points when it comes to research papers. Even undergrad university level profs do not expect original ideas, they expect well documented research based on books and papers published by others that shows that you have done a considerable amount of work and learned something.

If I had that assignment I would ask for an extention back to the 14th Century and cover the Trastamara dynasty of Spain. Very interesting stuff even involving Edward the Black Prince. Bet you didn't know that the English were involved in dynastic succession wars in Spain. The overcompensation by the Trastamara's for their "illegitimacy, regicide and fratricide" was a major influence on the next 150 years of Spanish history including the expulsion of the Jews and Moors, the Inquisition, the discovery of the Western Hemisphere and the constant 15th and 16th Century wars in the Low Countries (the Netherlands and Belgium today). I'll bet Vorago could tell you a lot about that aspect.
  17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yeah sure, what do you want to know :D

Carl V, Filips II, the "Statuestorm", Willem Van Oranje, The siege of Antwerp, the Geuzen, you got it.
  18. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This is only one part, extensive and relevant bibliographies used well gain your marks. Just having a huge bibliography will really get you nothing.

I disagree with this. One of the requirements of first class work on my Undergrad course was that you have to have original ideas.
  19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Depends on the assignment, I have a couple of assignments now and the goal is to collect correct and usefull information..It depends I guess.
  20. After 40 years of a variety of undergrad and grad studies I am the only one I know who has had an undergrad paper published. I have heard of others, but I don't know any. If you are developing original research, good for you.:hyper:Get it published. It will do a lot for your future career.