Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shall I put a new q-tuner pickup in?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jenzen, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Jenzen

Jenzen

Nov 20, 2003
    A friend of mine told me about q-tuners, a pickup which have an unique architecture. I download a demo of it at (http://www.q-tuner.com/download.shtml) and it sounds really great. Very clear. But that new toys will cost me $200. Have you ever heard about it? Through the search I couldn't find anything...

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The website is filled with huge amounts of misapplied science, pseudo-science, questionable psychology, and actual false claims.

So I looked at the patent. It describes a pickup, with two unusual features. The first is the sideways orientation coils and magnets. While this is unusual, it is not unique. It is also found in the pickups made by Aaron Armstrong and used by JP. The second feature, the three polepiece sets, is different from the Armstrong unit, and is something I haven't seen before.

My advice would be, if they sound good to you, and if you are not put off by the snake oil, smoke and mirrors, buy them. Personally, for me to buy them, they would have to sound phenomenal in person in order to outweigh the deceptive BS being used to market them.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I looked at that site. Saw lots of technical stuff which went right over my head, but little actual information about the pickups i.e. what types/sizes are available?

4. Jenzen

Jenzen

Nov 20, 2003
    Does really nobody know, if it is OK?

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Not sure exactly what you mean by, "is it OK?", but I'll clarify my post in case it looked like an attack or something.

- the design is somewhat unique, but IMO not earth-shakingly so.
    - it might be the best pickup ever made, but the marketing puts me off.
    - I downloaded the DAT-quality (16/48) sample. (IMO the inclusion of a 32/96 sample is ridiculous, since even if you avoid the "does it matter sonically to the human ear" argument, AFAIK equipment to play it back is only found in top recording studios. Even Pro Tools only has 24 bit A/Ds and D/As.) To me, it's clear sounding, but nothing remarkable. I would have liked to have heard some conventional bass playing instead of a piece that is nearly all harmonics.
    - Looking at the diagram of the three ways to adjust the three sets of polepieces of the BL model (on the "harmonic ratios" page), I would agree that it has the potential to act to some extent as either a wide-aperature or a narrow-aperature pickup, possibly on a per-string basis. But, man, you have to read around the 1/2 - 2/3 BS in order to get to the valid content.

6. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I just got done emailing these guys telling them their website stinks. Too much techno-babble, not enough "cut to the chase". Figured the download would be their salvation, then I found out that I'd have to download this monstrous file just to hear them. Screw 'em. They're the MOST customer-unfriendly website owners. Ick. Meh.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

Haven't ever heard of 'em. Going with the question from the heading, if money's no issue, buy 'em. If money is an issue, don't.

8. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Well, I got a nice email back from the owner. Hopefully the website will be made more accessible in the future. I'd love to try out someone else's bass with these pups in them before buying. They aren't cheap, definitely.