Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shall I trade in my Ibanez Btb for a Soundgear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anti_Social, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Okay, I found myself in a little bit of a dilemna on Wednesday. I walked into the big music store in town, and met some friends I knew from another school. They're supposed to come to my band's show on Sunday, which is a large one for us (800+ people... for this area, that's ginormous.) Well, I played some of our stuff for them on the first bass I saw, a Ibanez Soundgear SR495 (5-string.) Now, I couldn't believe how well it played.

So, I went home, and then played my Ibanez Btb405qm (also a fiver.) I was dissapointed by the one I have. Now, I'm not much on the technical aspects, besides knowing I loved the feel of the soundgear. Now, my band plays Rock/Hard Rock, and I still need a bass that fits that style. Input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You'll find that many people here find the BTB's to be the best Ibanez series. Did you have the SOundgear plugged in? Did you find the pickups weak sounding? Remember, sound is as important as feel.

chaurett likes this.
  3. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    The SG was plugged into a $1000 Fender Combo, I forget what wattage. Nice sounding though. But the pickups sounded good to me. I'm going to spend some time with it before I make my decision however. I also liked how light the SG was compared to my BTB. I do still like my BTB, but the SG just sounded so much richer and slid so easily.... *drool*

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bring in your BTB and plug it into the same amp and compare...

5. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i played a btb the other day...and the neck was WAY too thick.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Consider me one of the people that Figjam was talking about. I wouldn't trade my BTB400 (four string version of yours) for ANYTHING else that Ibanez made. The neck is just too great. I can (and do) have the action so low that it takes almost NO effort to fret a note and my amp doesn't pick up any buzz. Plus, when the mids are set to their lowest and boosted, it's such an awesome tone for hard rock, alternative, whatever.

7. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I have the Ibanez K5 which is quite a nice bass. My friend ( also a bassist) played my K5 from time to time and got to like it, but he was dead set on getting a Spector fiver.After a while he started thinking about the high price of the Spector compared to an Ibanez. In the end he got a btb Ibanez and loves it.good for him but I found the neck too thick and long and it was also heavier than my K5 and less comfortable. Shop around or else you may face this situation again in the future.Theres just so much to choose from.......

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    It is built really well. But i'm with you on the neck. I have a Soundgear, and it is a lot faster too.

EDIT: Yeah, the one I have is an SR3005 Prestige, it's niiiiiice.

9. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Well, scratch getting that soundgear. I almost got it at the shop, until they gave me the trade in value of my BTB. I've had it for a year and 1/2, and it's in excellent condition. I mean, practically mint, save for a few indentations and scratches around the pickups. $300. I got it from the same place for $700. Can you say, no? So, it's back to my BTB. *sigh of longing*

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Trades with shops are a big no-no. They will never give you anywhere near what something is worth. I am honestly surprised they offered that much for it. Most shops will give you half of what they can sell it for. Which would probably be around $175.

11. yeah, I'm getting screwed on selling my EDA900 (also a soundgear) for about half what I paid earlier this year.

12. In addition to the SR having a slimmer neck profile, I believe the SR has a 34-inch scale, compared with the BTB's 35-inch.

You are correct sir.

Trades with shops are a big no-no. They will never give you anywhere near what something is worth.

You are correct sir.

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey dude, you paid $700 for your BTB!?!? It better be one of the Prestige ones then. Online you can get it for about $600 on a music store, and $300-$500 on ebay. There's even a Prestige one on Ebay now for about $450.
    That is insane!!

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    some btbs cost over $1,000

steve

15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    If you paid 700 for the BTB that I think you got (simply the five string version of mine), then you got REEMED. I got mine for $500 with gig bag. The only issue with mine was a dent by the mid-control knob that saved my about 50-60 bucks.

16. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If I owned Ibanez basses, the two I would have would be the BTB405 (or the next step up from that) or the SRX505.

17. If youre looking for something similar to the SR495, i HIGHLY recommend the SR3005. The neck, woods, and overall feel is almost exactly the same, but you get bart soapbars and a vari-mid eq... definitely worth the extra cash, and you can find them used for a good price.

Ive always been a fan of the soundgear necks since i started playing bass; theyre extremely fast to play. However if you play alot of slap the spacing does get tight at the end of the neck, so keep that in mind.

Peace.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, that's the one that I have. It's insane. The action is PERFECT man. And it came like that, you can get good sounds. It has a jazzy, metal, rock tone, it's awsome.

[​IMG]