Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shallow 1 or 2 space power amp recommended?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I just picked up a Bass Podxt Pro. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, but I thought $550 was a pretty good deal. All of my friends have one form of the Line 6 line (AX2 to Vetta), and I liked what they can do.

One of the main reasons I didn't want to get this a few months ago was the fact that I needed a power amp. I wanted to be able to get everything in a roto-x rack, because of it's size. I do have a crown CS1000 for PA, but it's heavy. I don't need much volume. I probably use 15-25% of my GK1001 right now. This brings me to my problem.

A) Since SKB doesn't make a 5 or 6 space roto-x, I am limited to putting a very shollow 2 space amp in there (like a carvin), and not having a rack mounted surge strip. All 4 spaces are already taken. The weight of this thing shouldn't be too bad if I keep it to something smaller than a DCM1500 (24 lbs for the amp, and the bass podxt pro doesn't weigh much. I loose my surge strip though. I'll miss that. I tried to do the research on finding a single space amp that is less than 9" deep to fit in the rack, but I couldn't find anything.

B) I like the warwick rackbags, and they make a 4, 6 and 8 rack version, but I don't think these are gong to hold the weight (pod, shallow amp, surge strip = 40 lbs+) of this setup. I have never seen one in person though. The over the shoulder design would be great. I can't find the mounting depth of the bag anywhere, but it looks deeper than the rotox. Any experience with them?

So to sum it all up, can anyone either recommend an amp that will fit in either the bag or the rack? I don't want to sacrifice sound for portability, but I am very portable right now and don't want to loose it. I can cary my 2x10, bass, head with surge strip, and a stand in one easy trip. Any advice will be appriciated.

Thanks guys,
    Wes

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How much power do you need?

The problem is that the amp needs a power transformer large enough to provide the juice the amp needs. If you're in a single rack space, the power transformer will be thin, but wide. As you give the designer greater height, they can give up some depth.

Even my Marshall ValveState 8008 poweramp, rated 80 watts/channel at 4 ohms is deeper than 9 inches. You can see in the photo that the power transformer and heat sinks take up a lot of room inside the chassis.

The Carvin DCM150 is 150 watts bridged into 8 ohms and its 10 in. deep.

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That is probably why I cant find a shallow single space. I know the carvin DCM1500 will fit in the rack, but those DCMs cant be my only choice. They have the same power supply as my GK, by the way. There isn't much in there besides that power supply and a small circuit board and fan. I wish SKB would make a 5 or 6 space rotoX...

4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    A) Since SKB doesn't make a 5 or 6 space roto-x, I am limited to putting a very shollow 2 space amp in there (like a carvin), and not having a rack mounted surge strip.

Hmmm, I just bought a 6 space SKB Roto Rack a couple of months ago :) Model No. SKB-R6. I had to order it thru my local music shop though - and got a discount since the shop didn't have one in stock.

http://www.skbcases.com/product/pro_audio/rack_mount2/skb-r6.html

5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  7. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Meekster
    That A500 looks promising, but I don't know if I can get it readily here in the US. I see they export it though, but that's one I have never heard of.
    Wes

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, sorry, I have a 400 watt 4 ohm Portabass 2x10. I would like to run bridged 4 ohm, or at least 200 watt per channel stereo. I have never heard of these brands though. Are they amps with a healthy reputation?

9. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I'll second the ART. I use one myself and absolutely love it's clean tone. Just keep in mind that 260 watts isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things - but if you don't need any more than that, I'd say at least audition one with your choice of preamp and cabinent.

10. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I think I found a solution:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GR6S/

It is a 6 space rack that is more shallow than a normal roto-x, but not as short as the roto-x that I currently have. From doing some reading on this sight, the Carvin was a tight fit in the roto-x anyhow. This opens the door to getting a few different amps because they can be a little deeper now. I figure I can go up to 14", but I still need to find the real specs on this case.
    Keep it coming!
    Wes

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How loud is the fan in the SLA-1?

I've been looking for a nice quiet low-power amp to use at home, and the other day I noticed that the ART power amp seemed like a nice choice, but I couldn't really find any reviews commenting on how loud or quiet the fan is.

12. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Meekster,
    That is a cool amp. It might be the smallest amp that I have ever seen. It goes against logic (the powersupply is so small). Do you have any experience with them, and where in America can I get a hold of one. It looks like the are made in Italy.
    It would work great in my on stage monitors too.

Wes

13. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    And a power supply...

14. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    gotcha. It was so small it was invisable!

15. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    hey I checked these out recently, not the unenclosed modules but their line of rack mount digital amps, and they were unbelievably expensive, something like 1500$ for the lowest power model. Are the little modules less expensive?

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    QSC PLX is 2 RU, 21 lbs.; 13" deep chassis fits into any rack.
    PLX model 3402 puts out 3400W into 4 ohms bridged.

[​IMG]

17. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The PLX fits in the new case I am looking at, so its a great contender. I know people on here praise the PLX line.

18. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Sorry for the late reply...as to the fan, on mine it's dead quiet. As in, sure if you put your ear right next to the amp then you can hear it. But when you are actually using the amp in a real life situation (i.e. more than 6" away from the amp) then you literally cannot hear it. That said, the fan is supposedly dual speed and in my case, it has never switched to the higher speed, so I can't comment on what the high speed may be like sound wise. I actually use mine for home theater when it's not being used for bass. I was looking for something dead quiet, but none of the passive amps in the same price range that I found were bridgable (or had enough wattage), so I chose the ART. I was pleasantly surprised with how quiet it is.

19. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    Meekster what are the prices like on those modules? I'm looking for something I can put inside one of my enclosures, and those might fit the bill.

20. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Wow, for $385 list, $190 wholesale, those would be a steal! I have never purchased anything from out of the US, and I would have to find a good power supply (and find out what else needs to be done to make it work. It would be nice to find out a little more about these things though. They would be a great project.
    Thanks,
    Wes