1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shallow case for a GK1001 RB2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Aug 12, 2007.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Will a 2U shallow - Gator or SKB X case work, or do I need an 3U case for proper ventalation?

2. I have the 700 RB II and was wondering the same thing.

3. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    it is a good Q-

Someone will come along with help.

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005

I think I remember someone saying the SKB X 2RU has enough top clearance for the GKamps to bo ok.. remember it only needs a 1/2" on top.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the shallow x-racks "rack depth" will take an amp up to 10.375" deep from ears to back. the 1001 is 8" so it should be fine...

better safe than sorry so I'd recommend a 3u space rack.

When I was racking equipment I ONLY used SKB!!! x-racks. I owned shallow and regular xrack roto racks.

6. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I think the 2 space gator and the X-rack will both give you the nessesary 1/2 inch of space that GK recommends. I use a 4 space X-rack with my 400RB. The X-racks are shallower and thus more compact but if I had it to do all over again I would go for the gator. The way the SKB is designed forced me to cut a small piece out of the back so I could more easily plug in the 400RBs power cord with out bending it awkwardly. (others have said that this is not a problem with the 2-space) Its only a problem with mine because I am forced to rack my amp on the bottom due to the size of other things in the rack. But beyond this I also feel like the half-lid thing that the SKB X-racks use for the back lid feels kind of cheap. I would rather have a full lid for both the front and back (more air flow this way too)

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I had my Gk400rbIII in a 3 space and i wouldn't want the fit to be any tighter.

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I had a 1001RB-II in a 2-space X-Rack and it worked fine.

9. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    As an alternative I went with the soft GK bag instead of a hard case. The handle attachments arent the greatest but overall I perfer not using a rack with the amp since its so small.

10. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    A previous rig I owed was in a Gator shallow case. The one thing I did not care for was the lack of space behind the handle to get one's hands in it to pick it up.

That is one reason I am considering the SKB X rack this time around.

Anyone know if the X rack has a "man" sized handle on it?

11. Kept mine in a 2u skb shallow x-rack and it was fine. The amp never got hot, even though it seemed there wasn't a lot of clearance near the top fan. I DID need to cut part of the back off the rack (near the edge of the door) so I could plug the cables in easily. There wasn't a lot of space along the bottom.
    I moved it into a 3u rackspace (again, skb shallow x-rack) since I added a rackmount tuner, and it's fine. Great head. I'm not entirely satisfied with my GK cabs though. Sound good. They just aren't reliable. I've got the SBX cabs (410 and 115). Should've saved up and got the RBH cabs.

12. It's got enough space behind the handle for me. I don't have huge hands, but they're not tiny either.

13. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    So the 3u has enough clearance on the bottom where one does not need to cut away any material to easily plug in cables?

14. I mounted the amp over the tuner, so the cables would have enough clearance. My only complaint, which is VERY minor, is the head doesn't have a rear tuner out.