Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shallow poweramps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are there any poweramps out there that will fit into a shallow rack. Im just sick of all these deep racks. :scowl:
    Id rather have a 3U amp that is shallow instead of a 1U 19" deep amp.

2. The older but reliable ADA power amps.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just outta curiosity, does anyone make a lightwieght yet powerful poweramp that's shallow?

4. Carvin DCM 1000 or 1500.

2 rack space, 10" deep. Fit perfectly in a typical effects rack, usually with room for cords to stay connected.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The PLX's are the ones I've seen that best meet that description. They're about 13" deep IIRC.
    I have a Peavey DPC 1400x, and while I love it it does restrict the rack cases you can use since it's so deep.

6. I have a PLX and it is very shallow. I'm actually trying to find a rack case for it. Something like 15" deep. I hate how my rack hangs off the end of my cabinet.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Protec rack bags should fit the QSC fine.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Im glad Im not alon on this one.
    I always thought the QSC PLX was deeper. I´ll have to check it out...

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok so standard skb racks are 16" with the lids off, and you might fit an 18" amp in with the lid on, but i would try it before i commited. I have no prob with my stewart being 17" deep. It's in its own 2 space skb rack and fits anywhere.

BTW, no one notices that your rack hangs off the back of your cabinet but you. trust me. That cute girl watching the band isn't thinking, "what a dork, his rack is like so totally hanging off the back of his cabs. I would like, never have sex with a guy like that." :p

10. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Hahahah...

I think the concern maybe for some is stability. But probably not on a basscab.

My old guitarist had a regular depth SKB case that sat on top of his guitar cab. It was literally 10 inches off the back. It always made me nervous. I don't think he used anywhere near that much depth so I guess all the weight was forward. Single space tube power amp. That thing cranked.

Troll

11. I have a QSC 1310 and it fits nicely into a Road Ready Effects Rack.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'd like to find a 1/2 space wide by 2 space high power amp that I could use with my Avalon U5 which is 1/2 space wide by 2 space high.

13. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I don't know if this is normal or what, but my QSC RMX 1450 fits just fine in my SKB Roto-X 6 space. Theres about 2 inches left over in the back...just letting you know. :smug: