Shame on Ibanez

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassJuju, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I hope this is the right spot for a little venting. I had an Ibanez Portamento that I really liked in many ways. I found after having it a few months that there were significant electronic issues. A bad plug, horrible wiring, a defective pre-amp, and fuzzy tone intermittently from the Piezo. Anything can have issues-- thats what warranties and insurances policies are for. However, after 3 months, all we had was wrong parts shipped, delays, rep changes, additional requests for the receipt, and little action. The bass basically hung on the wall. I would like to say that the tech at Guitar Center and the rest of the staff were great. Very communicative on the issues and whatever progress we had. I almost felt sorry for the guy as he continued to fight the battle. At one point he told me there were like 20 such cases that were underway for various Ibanez guitars. Pretty sad. After the rep changed and we started over the last time I asked if I could just exchange the bass and the manager agreed. I know GC takes some heat here, and each location is different, but mine is top notch. The staff cares about the customer and like all cases attitude reflects leadership.

All this is to say, if you are considering Ibanez, in my opinion, buyer beware. I will never buy another. If you are looking for a good customer service experience, talk to your local GC.

Ibanez, shame on you.

2. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    An SR305F I had purchased brand-new came with crackly sounding knobs out of the box. I owned the bass for seven years and managed to put up with it, but man, that was a major killjoy. Great playability and sound otherwise.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Never owned one but one of the best bass players i know loves them.

4. GC praise for good customer service??

Cubs win the series??

What next??

:eek:

5. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Hey--I have 3 Ibanez instruments (2 guitars--an Iceman & an AF95--plus my SR500F)
    I am very happy with all of them.
    The Iceman I got used, the others new.
    I would have no issue buying another one. (As long as I had the cash to do so)

6. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Portamento is being delivered tomorrow ..... more to come, let's hope the issues are now fixed. Oddly enough, go ahead and try to find one .... Sweetwater = SOLD OUT / Zzounds = SOLD OUT / Musicians friend = SOLD OUT / REVERB - only 1 or 2 to choose from ...... I also tried a dozen small online shops and finally found the very last one they had in inventory.

I'll keep y'all in the loop as to how she plays .... I'm staying optimistic because I believe she will be magnificent :thumbsup:

seang15 likes this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I recently got a relatively new Ibanez bass delivered from GC, and the preamp was malfunctioning, very very quiet.
    At the time I considered contacting Ibanez about it, but once I saw the rat's nest of wires in there to accommodate the coil tap feature, I just wanted to get rid of it.

Maybe the old adage is right, "They don't make them like they used to.", as both my BTB & SRX are great basses & I've had some great used Ibanez guitars in the past.
    In recent years they seem to be adding more features & still keeping the price pretty low. IMHO, quality almost has to suffer in a case like that.

8. I've owned 3 Ibanez instruments over the years. One guitar and two basses dating from 1985 to 2010. At one point or another , all of them had soldering issues. All were easy fixes and other than that all were great instruments. I still have 2 of them and Gatorbait (my son) has the other one.

seang15 likes this.
  9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Shame on Ibanez?
    You bought a bass made in Indonesia or the PRC and you're shocked that it had quality issues?

And what did you exchange it for? Please tell me not another Ibby!

10. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    I ordered online an ATK810 and when it arrived it was like when you keep finding flaws every 5 minutes. At least this thing could make some sound... ATK810s are offered only as "Premium series" :roflmao:

11. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

You named your son Gatorbait? D:

--^@

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I hope he doesn't live in LA (Louisiana) :eek:

Way to go, getting your dig on imported instruments from Asia!
    The issue was more about how Ibanez fumbled at trying to resolve the issue :bored:

My Indo made SRX is almost as good as my Korean made BTB :cool:

13. Yup , and I have two daughters too , Bearbait and Jailbait , and then there's my lovely wife Seahag.

14. Ibanez Artcore basses have a wiring problem, it's wired incorrectly so the tone control doesn't function properly

Their lower-end Talman basses also have a wiring problem on some of them, so the battery drains even when it isn't plugged in.

The older SR basses have a problem with the bridge, it would sometimes bend and no longer hold the string's ball-end in place.

I am an Ibanez fan, I'm not pooping on them or anything. But they are hit and miss. Their misses are rare and they tend to hit home runs

15. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There's another old adage: You get what you pay for.

16. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'll bet that SRX doesn't have a highly involved preamp and a bunch of fancy features... right?

And my dig really is more about everyone wanting something for nothing. You get what you pay for, and when you buy a fancy axe but pay for a modest one...

17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I have owned 4 Ibanez basses, and played many, many other Ibanez/Hoshino products. One bass was flawless in every way; one had design issues, but was made well; the other 2 I still have. One is stock and fine (if a little low output), the other had a bad bridge but is stock. The last 2 I have had for 15-20 years, and have served me quite well.

Their other instruments i have played have all had representative things reflecting their price points, but have all been serviceable.

Every company makes a loser sometimes.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  18. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Here is what I don't understand:

Why do people keep new instruments if they know there is a problem 5 minutes after unboxing?

I don't care if the thing cost 150- or 1500-, if there is a problem it goes back for an exchange or full refund.

BassJuju likes this.
  19. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    My Ibanez EX (passive) had some pretty crappy electronics too. The pots were heavy and rough. The input jack became useless in the first year or two. The wiring must not have been great because I replaced it all too. And there was no shielding, I had to add that.

But you know what, the rest of that bass is excellent and has given me zero problems over all these years. Replacing some cheap electronic parts is the least of my worries. If that's all I have to do to get a good deal on an otherwise well built bass, then that's fine by me.

20. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Nope.. not shocked that it had issues, sad that they had 0 customer service and no commitment to resolving the issue on a $900 instrument. None. You should really re-read the post for your last question. I will not only never buy another Ibby, but I will try to warn others. Apparently that doesn't work too well.

edit... The credit from the Ibby was bounced around to many things. GC doesn't stock many nice basses in my area, so you have to order, test, return, or keep. I tried EBMM, Fender Dimension, Warwick, T-bird, used F-bass, and ultimately kept a Ric 4003W on the bass front. Then I bought 2 Kiesel's and a T-bird. Probably buy a Marleaux Diva before the end of the year.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    DrummerwStrings and murphy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021