Shame on Ibanez

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassJuju, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I had the battery drain issue too... Didn't realize it until I replaced the basses, but I was buying 9V's by the dozen. I now play a Fender American Elite J and 2 Kiesel's and the batteries last a very long time. Yes, each have two, but they last much longer than twice as long.

I too felt that way. I was certainly committed to replacing the parts and moving on. I couldn't even get a straight answer on what to buy. When Ibanez did ship the part that I was willing to, shouldn't have had to, but willing to pay for, it was the wrong part. I also learned something else at that time. I would play the instruments, I had 2 Ibby's, without amplification. They made almost no sound. When I play the Fender it sings all by it's lonesome. The Kiesel's do this as well. And my Ric is on a planet of it's own in terms of acoustic tone-- I think it's louder than my acoustic.

FWIW...
    What really drove this purchase was I wanted a 5 string Fretless. I looked over all the options and chose this one; it had a clean look, had decent reviews, it's neck-thru, and had a nice fingerboard. I liked the amplified tone a lot. the Bartolini's were nice, and the Chromes were too. But, the pots didn't work because the wiring sucked, the electronics were spotty because it had a crappy board in it, and the Piezo was a total static fest at times.

It is interesting that this post from November has been resurrected as it got very little attention then. My issues have been long resolved and I will never have them again. I hope that others will decide to buy other manufacturers, American made or custom made, but I find that sometimes these things warn people and other times they don't. GAS is real and sometimes things look cool.

murphy likes this.
  2. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's on my wish list too .... The "Diva" is freaking BEAUTIFUL bass!!

BassJuju likes this.
  3. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    OK, got my new 4 string Ibanez Portamento this morning, been playing it all day ..... my initial impression?

It's going back. :thumbsdown:

It's crazy light, almost too light, like a toy and has a "cheap" feel to it as well. The finish on the mahogany body is cheap looking too. The tones it puts out in different PUP configurations are "OK" ... but not "OK" enough to warrant the $900 price tag...

IMO a bass has to FEEL GOOD in your hands and it should be an enjoyable experience to play in addition to sounding great, this bass doesn't meet up to what I was hoping it would and that sucks.

I don't know how other bassists have given this bass a glowing review .... unless it's the only bass they've ever played.

Bottom line: If you've played sturdy, solid basses before built with quality craftsmanship and those things are just as important to you as the tones the bass delivers, this will most likely be a let down for you too.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

BassJuju likes this.
  4. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Sorry to hear that, but I can understand. FWIW, I like my Kiesel and a fretless could be had for a reasonable price. I spent more and got some cosmetic bells and whistles, but that isn't required.

BK bassist likes this.
  5. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks ... My Warmoth fretless was LESS expensive and TOTALLY SMOKES the Portamento, I really wanted to like it too. On the bright side, I can put $900 back into my GAS account :)

BassJuju likes this.
  6. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I have an Ibanez SR505 that had one of the bad bridges...one day I'm sitting on the couch and hear a "twang" behind me. My bass was on a stand and the D and G strings had popped off due to the bridge bending. The first thing I thought was "Holy crap, lucky this didn't happen during the first set at a gig!!"

Mr. Google said it was a known problem and that Ibanez will replace the bridge even if the warranty had expired (mine had). I took the bass to Long & McQuade as I had bought it from them and talked to their "bass guy" who called Ibanez while I waited. A new bridge was shipped to the store and L&M replaced it at no cost (although I could have done it myself).

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You probably could have contacted Ibanez directly...

8. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I thought of that while I was in the store... :)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Here's another: Blame the victim. If you got burned by a supposedly reputable company, you deserved to be burned.

murphy and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

When shopping used, sometimes you do get more than you paid for.
    That old adage isn't always right!

5544 and murphy like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Very true.

Also, if somebody with a little experience in the bass world dropped $150 through Alibaba or similar sites for a 6-string fanned-fret bass with matched walnut top and 5-piece neck - and ended up disappointed with what got delivered (assuming it got delivered at all) - that would be one thing.

But when you're going through GC to buy a name brand like Ibanez, I don't think the "you get what you pay for" argument holds water. Especially when it's so obviously a manufacturing and warranty issue.

And to say to somebody here that "you get what you pay for" in that context is like saying "Wah! Wah! Wah! Not my problem - so what's your problem bro?"

12. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    You know, I almost bought a bunch of Warmoth stuff to build my own fretless. I may still do something like that for fun. I am glad to hear others say they liked theirs. Perhaps, one day...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021