Shame on you!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tond, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tond

Tond

Sep 15, 2015
    The Netherlands

Came across this Carol Kay video made by Dutch national tv. Watch the end where Carol visits the studio. Morons!

Glenn Mac, kobass, faulknersj and 7 others like this.
  2. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    ... or they’re just people doing their jobs and then all of a sudden an older woman and a cameraman show up and want to look around. Can’t exactly be surprised younger people have no idea who she is. But I love her reaction.

SirMjac28, kobass, Sparkl and 14 others like this.
  3. Tond

Tond

Sep 15, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I think they might show a litle more intrest in people

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why are they morons and why should they be ashamed?

5. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    I think OP was referring to the people that crashed into a place of business and expected to be able to just wander around with camera and never thought to call ahead to let them know about the documentary and ask permission ahead of time. So silly.

6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    It's silly. Carol, a professional player, knows full well that you don't just walk into a studio with live sessions going on and get a tour. Those kids at the front don't know who she is, they only know that their job is to keep things quiet so the sessions don't get interrupted. But it did make for a good "reality TV moment." I wouldn't blame Carol, I'd blame the video producers. She tried to accommodate them with a silly request, and I'm sure was a little peeved because she's been in that place hundreds of times, but didn't get a welcome that day.

I wrote a song about this kind of thing once, called "Other People." Basically it was about going back to my hometown and seeing all the old places I used to go occupied by different groups of people who didn't know anything about my history there. One of the verses had to do with sitting in with my old band, where "other people" were playing all the parts I used to play and the audience didn't have anyone I knew from the past. It's amazing how time erases your relevance in certain ways.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    She's incredibly rude, intrusive and pretentious in this video.

8. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    No shame - just doing their jobs. Anybody could walk in and claim they're someone important - 4 years ago I wouldn't have recognized her name either. "Hi, I'm the person who made everybody you know sound good, but you have no reason to know who I am. Can I wander around?"

Yeah, poor planning on the producer's part - no need to blast the people trying to run a studio...

She was kind of snarky about it too in my opinion....

9. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    She should have called ahead if she was bringing a camera crew or even just wanted to visit for old time's sake. Having said that, if Carol Kaye walked into a session I was doing I would fire the bassist on the spot and offer her the job. ;)

10. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Yeah, but your bassist is the absolute worst!:roflmao:

jmone and And I like this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Not kind of.

GBBSbassist and nbsipics like this.
  12. Yango

Yango Inactive

Apr 14, 2008
    Carol who?

Seriously, what did she expect?

Sixgunn likes this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Shelby

ahc, kobass, Kiril Basso and 7 others like this.
  14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    She expected them to, based on her word as a stranger, stop what they were doing, stop all recording, and let her roam their workplace with a camera man.

15. Yeesh. That was embarrassing to watch, but a good life lesson. And the off-the-cuff comment to the staff of "I made a lot of money for this studio you know!" was typical of the way some people treat folks just trying to do their jobs: I didn't get my way, so now I am going to try to make you feel like crap.
    Though I love her bass playing, her stock has done nothing but nose-dive for me over the years. Blech.

16. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I was trying to be nice to the legend....:rolleyes:

17. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    As rude as that may appear, the studio missed a great PR opportunity that would have been most likely free. Most people either don't about the history there or have forgotten about it.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    She's absolutely a legend. Her contributions to music and history are undeniable. No doubt about it. But it doesn't excuse her childish behavior here. Maybe she was in a mood that day. Maybe it was an extended senior moment. I'm not judging the whole of her character based on a few seconds of footage. But she's entirely in the wrong in this situation, in my opinion.

19. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Well sure - if they have nothing else going on and have time to verify who in the world the person is.
    Yeah, I think she had a chip on her shoulder for years of making smash hits with pretty much no credit. Every time I've seen her interviewed she seems to have a bit of an attitude. Maybe its just her personality...

20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.