Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shamed by Morris Day

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bman, Jan 7, 2002.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I was watching a Saturday Night Live re-run on Comedy Central today.
    The musical guest was Morris Day (I think. Not really my kind of music.)
    Anyway, it was ultra funky so I thought I'd get some schoolin' by watching the bass player. He was jamming his ass off on a red Fender Jazz. Looked like a custom shop ax. (It may have been either Jimmy Jam or Terry Lewis. Again, I'm not a big fan. But they looked familiar.)
    My point?
    Not only was this guy playing a SICK groove, he was dancing like a madman while he was doing it. All in time. In synch with the other musicians.
    Made all those years of practice seem rather futile, if you know what I mean.
    Those guys could PLAY.

I felt shame. I sit in the box, two minutes, then I go free.

Anyone see that performance?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jimmy Jam(keys), Terry Lewis(bass), Jesse Johnson(guitar), Jerome, Morris Day(vocals/fool)were The Time. Yes, they were very good. Ever see Purple Rain? That slide step during "Jungle Love" kills me...still! ;)

Still, the *best* version I ever heard of "The Bird" was done by a local Va. Beach band called The Squares(Oteil Burbridge on bass). ;)

Jam & Lewis wrote, performed, produced many an '80s R&B star/hit. The SOS Band, Cheryl Lynn, Janet Jackson all had that Jam/Lewis touch.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with you, bman. He has a certain groove-style down in cement. Plus, he also uses a lot more hand motion than is really necessary to look like he is smoking, (keep watching SNL reruns and watch Stuart Zender w/Jamiroquai blow Lewis's funk out the door with his much more subtle style).....IMO

But here's the rub - have you seen him anywhere since that spot??? My guess is, "not."

The moral of the story is - don't specialize or limit yourself to one style if you want to stay in the game over the long haul.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Lewis is bringing the cheddar as a big-shot producer. He don't have to play to get pay, if you know what I'm saying.

5. rickbass

I'm sure he's better off there, Christopher.

He was a one-trick pony on the bass. The one trick is a good trick, but that doesn't keep the checks coming like production.

6. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    i watched that rerun!! I thought the were great! it was cool how the were al dancing. Really funky stuff

7. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Jerome's last name was Benton.

The Time was the Baddest band in the land. If you don't know, now you know!!

Get "what Time is it?" and be amazed. "777-9311" is must -learn for anyone wanting to be a funker!!

Stuart Zender was good. Funkier than Terry Lewis? Eyedonthinkso!

8. rickbass

Any of James Brown's bands wrote their school books. ;)

Wherever you find your brand of funk is "the correct answer." That's why included the "IMO."

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    IIRC "777-9311" was performed by Prince... and a drum machine;)

10. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Maybe so, but the Time was able to reproduce that groove on stage, which is where it counts!

11. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    No disrespect to the James Brown Bands, but the Time was a different animal. They were more rock. They might have learned from James (as we all did), but they made it their own.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

THis thread more rightly belongs under "bassists", but as it has already drawn a lot of commentary, I think I'll leave it here. (Maybe DanceHallClasher won't agree, though.):)

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I would hope so... it "was" sold as their song:D

14. And IIRC much of the Time's material was written by Prince under a few of his various pen names as well!

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd vote for Zender over Lewis. Zender came up with his parts, while Prince came of with Terry's.

16. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [I felt shame. I sit in the box, two minutes, then I go free.

That reminds me. I was coaching in Omaha and Eddie Shore sends me this guy that's a ….LOL!!

I've seen them and you're right he does lay it down all while dancing his butt off. He does a bit more slap then I would like but then again any slap is really too much for my taste.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Couple years ago, I asked the same thing...I get the Acid part...where's the Jazz part?
    BNH, Jamiroqui, etc sound very much like a retro-'70s R&B/Soul band(NOT a bad thing, IMO).
    Anyway, a bassist from the UK(NOT Bruce Lindfiled) answered my question-
    Basically, we're getting the "watered-down" version of Brand New Heavies here in the US. ;)

"I felt shame. I sit in the box 2 minutes, then I go free".
    I was at an AHL game here in-town last night...kinda boring so we amused ourselves by picking lines outta Slap Shot...

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    This is what I was responding to. Getting "What Time is it?" and being amazed at "777-9311" has nothing to do with Terry, no disrespect to Terry, recorded or live... it's just not Terry that you'd be listening to;)