Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shameless Louisville Gigspam

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Got a really nice gig coming up with NY vocalist Tessa Souter on October 28 and 29th at the Jazz Factory here in town. Her disc is killing, and the whole group will consist of voice, bass, classical guitar, and hand percussion. I know it's a long shot, but just in case anybody's in the area, I have a feeling that this one will be worth catching. :)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Will be playing with great Canadian trumpeter Brad Turner at the Jazz Factory this Friday and Saturday night, March 24 and 25. Cover is $10, and sets are at 7:30 and 9:30. Looking forward to getting my posterior kicked in a very good way. The lineup:

Brad Turner - Tpt
    Gordon Towell - Sax
    Steve Snyder - Pno
    DURRL - Bass
    Jason Tiemann - Drums

Mr. Snyder is also a very, VERY bad man. :)

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow...Brad Turner definitely lives up to the hype. Yowsah! :eek: Nice dude, too.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Tell Brad I said hi. What all instruments did he play last night? He's a bitch on most of 'em.

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Married to my cousin, he is...

Canada: biggest small town in the world.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Canada: 10 feet tall, 3000 miles wide.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Coming up on June 24 at the factory, I'll be playing with Dave Liebman in a quartet setting. I've been a longtime fan of Lieb's playing for years, so I'm really stoked! :hyper: This show will be broadcast both on air (delayed) and in streaming audio over the net at a later date, so if anyone is interested in tuning in, shoot me a line and I'll find out the details. Sets on the 24th are at 7:30 and 9:30.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Let me be the first to say **** you.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Let me be the second.

Yes, I would like details on the broadcast.

10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Y'know, I'm normally polite on a thing like this, but I'm gonna chime in with the others on this one.

11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    "Dave Liebman in a quartet setting." That would be Liebman playing Hall-of-Fame soprano, All-Star tenor, major-league drums and solid piano too.

And Chris, of course.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    *sniff*

I love you guys. I really do. :D

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Ladies and gentlemen, Sam Sherry. Sam Sherry. He'll be here through Wednesday.

Try the veal.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, these next few don't involve me directly, but if anyone's in the area, they are well worth checking out (I'll be at all of them for sure). Jamey has really outdone himself this time:

Sunday, July 2, Comstock Hall (3rd Set)
    David Liebman - Sax
    Andy Laverne - Piano
    Dave Friesen - Bass
    Steve Davis - Drums

Wednesday, July 5 at Masterson's (3rd set)
    Jim Rotondi - Tpt
    Tim Armacost - Sax
    Kenny Werner - Pno
    Rufus Reid - Bass
    Steve Davis - Drums

Thursday, July 6, Comstock Hall (2nd set)
    Kenny Werner - Pno
    Dave Friesen - Bass
    Steve Davis - Drums

The Comstock concerts are all free, and the Masterson's show is either $5 or $10. Comstock shows start at 7:30, and count on each set lasting about an hour including break/changeover. The Masterson's show starts at 8:00.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    September 7, a Thursday night at the Factory: I was lucky enough to get the call to play with pianist Jean-Michel Pilc. The trio will be rounded out by my good friend and frequent partner in time Jason Tiemann. Sets are at 7:30 and 9:30. If anybody's in the neighborhood, I'd love to have some bass brothers around for moral support. Beer's on me.

I think I better go practice now...:bag:

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A word about Jean Michel Pilc:

[​IMG]

This guy writes and plays his *** off and has absolutely MAD energy onstage. Playing with him last night was a complete blast - easily the most fun I've had with my clothes on in quite some time. If you get a chance to catch him live, don't pass it up. He's a great guy to hang with as well if you get the opportunity.

Chicago TBers, he's headed your way for a two night hit this weekend. Go see the show if you can...I promise it will be worth your while.

Oh, and for anybody who happens to be in or near the 'ville next Friday, August 15th, Kenny Werner and his trio will be performing at the Factory that night with Ari Hoenig and Johannes Wiedenmuller. If you make it out, stop by and say hi - I'll be the tall follically challenged gent with the red beard smiling and eating the Factory's amazing Sea Bass at the front table that's about 3 feet from the piano . :)

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I was lucky enough to be asked to play Feb. 22 and 23 at the Factory with Jean Michel Pilc and Ari Hoenig, then again with the same group at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy on the 24th. I'm definitely looking forward to this week. :)

18. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    You need a more euro sounding name for these gigs. On bass "Christian Pizzacati" or "Christian Micheal Basshevsky"

How bout just "Sir Christian Valclav Fitzgerald".

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What, a guy with a name that sounds like pasta doesn't care for my Mick moniker? At least it recalls a pretty decent author, a dead president, and some whiskey. With this red beard of mine, I always wish I could just bill myself as "Paddy O'Furniture".

[​IMG]

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

"Valclav"?

Dude. :D

20. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    It was early. I wasn't warmed up yet.

:bag: