Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shameless plug for a TB DBer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by oldsaw, Jan 9, 2002.

1. I'm sure most of you have seen posts here authored by some guy named Jeff Bollbach, did you know that he now has his own web site. If you go to http://jeffbollbach.com/ I think you will as I did learn some interesting information about bass lutherie.

Mark

2. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Great site! I am impressed. Love the luthier rant.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You beat me to the punch. AGAIN. While reading the rant, I learned something about my own fingerboard, too.

4. Nice clean web site Jeff.
    The way it should be.

5. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Here, here Old Saw! Thanks for the post. Great site Jeff.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Whatta website! Now I can see why everybody at TB got so excited when Jeff appeared in the DB forum. The only problem I can see is that he's in NY and I'm in Hawaii; otherwise, he'd be kicking me out of his shop at least once a week.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Special thanks to Mark. I had labored as to whether or not to announce the site myself[didn't want to appear self serving] but you solved that little problem, didn't you.
    I must admit I'm having some fun with my foray into e-land. I want to send out a plug to Dave Cardon. He's a client and we traded some bass work for the web design[uh oh-do you think the IRS monitors this board?] I was quite happy with his work-he made it very easy for me[believe me I needed it to be easy]

As I alluded to in the site I am really busier than I'd like to be [being basically lazy in nature.] So my intent for the site is not primarily advertising. I guess its part advertising[for new basses], part ego[i'm human], but mostly the site is a beard for the rant. I feel like I am on a kind of mission. You see- I call myself a luthier. What makes me a luthier? I didn't go to college for it. I have no liscense. Its just cause I say I am and a few players seem to agree. There is absolutely no policing the bass lutherie world[actually that's not true in Germany] The only way to keep luthiers honest is if the players are watching. And if they are not watching they'll be charged $90 anhour for ten minutes of work done in the back by a ne'er-do-well kid with a tube of crazy glue and a failed hardcore band. It seems to me that TBer's are interested in watching.

There is amazingly little literature at all on bass lutherie-even on the web. I feel a need to provide a counterpoint to the little that is out there. Eventually I intend to attempt some actual print media[any help-opinions?] but right now the combo of TB and the site really gets it for me. Hopefully my rantings will continue to be welcome here.

ps. Marcus-didja say Hawaii? mebbe we could arrange a house call!

8. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Anyone have help or advice on how to get the site linked up[Dave did the search engine gig-I mean linked to bass places]
    thanks

9. I'm sorry, whats the quesiton?

10. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    How do I get linked with other websites and which would be the hippest ones? I'm sure one place I should look at is All Hail Bob's house.

11. Yes, this may be a good quesion for (All Hail) Bob.
    I know if I do a search on your name on say www.google.com your website isnt' listed. If this is what you are looking for I will have to talk to one of the web geeks at work to answer the quesiton.

Good Luck

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm going through this with my bluegrass band's website right now. I can tell you for a fact that the freebie search engine registration services are basically worthless ploys to get you to sign up for spam mail. There are lotsa paid services out there, you can find them by doing a web search on "search engine registration" or similar term. I dunno which one's best, though. You might try asking tech support at your hosting service for a recommendation, or also the service that registered your domain name.

13. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Already added your site/email to the Luthiers Directory and also to the Basslinks page, before I saw this message.

But hey- directions from all those Noo Yawk places but not Joisey!!??!!

14. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, now I have some personal gain to add to my reasons for counting myself among the Hailers. Many thanks!
    I'll still look for ways to link up-but between TB and your omnipresent site I'm already sittin' pretty in Schaeffer city[that dates me]!

You were surprized I didn't include directions from Joisey? Did you notice directions from Afghanistan?

I'M JOKING, I'M JOKING! That's allowed here, right?
    That was just an oversight-I'll get on it right away. I give good directions over the phone though.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

As long as you don't ask permission from the toybass contingent first, the answer is "yes, absolutely".

16. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    BTW, my site host has a pretty interesting stat page-it tells all sorts of stuff about who or what is visiting. ONe fact I found most interesting was that, as of this morning-of the total 306 visits, 89% were from TB!
    Can anyone tell me when the money starts rolling in?

17. Hey Jeff,

Do you take wooden nickles?

18. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I believe those are quite valuable these days- so sure.

19. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    So Jeff, do you work on violas?

20. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Judging from your avatar you and I might be able to talk bass of a different nature. What, are we lookin at 6-7 lbs. there?