Shameless, TORTless, FenderLESS post. Just because.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc DLarosa, May 18, 2022.

1. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    So, I've unfortunately been reading lots of negative/trolling style posts here lately. Not cool People. TB used to be FUN, and informative. Well... it still is, once we weed our way through the other stuff. I thank Y'all for the good stuff. HONEST. I'm also happy for the grain of salt/thick skinned, few of You that don't get hurt easily. I recently posted a hollow body bass, that I upgraded with EBMM/Sterling "guts." I was ready to tuck my tail, and run for the hills. Instead... the response was pretty darn uplifting, and positive. I promise to attempt to upload some sound clips soon. She has become one of my favorite basses. Thank You'z!!!
    Because of this, I now feel confident in showing Y'all My "Sistah's, from very distant Mistah's."

2006 Sandberg VM-4 (old, pre lawsuit body style). And... yep... an ESP Navigator/ESPionage, Jazz. Both switched to WEAR (I won't say "UPGRADED, as some/most may disagree. But... if its called an "ESPionage, should it not be "stealthy?") Black hardware. Just saying...

[Edit] Yes, I have many, and LOVE My Fenders.

Anyhow... enjoy, or NOT. I think that they're pretty cool. All of the original chrome hardware is saved, except for the original Sandberg bridge, which is getting used for a custom build. More on this, shortly.

Peace,
    Marc
    20220517_223809_HDR_2.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Wow, nice... those would look really sweet with some tort pickguards, just sayin. :D

3. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Funny. The Sandberg originally had a tort. It "bubbled up", and made it difficult to play. I found a replacement. It didn't fit. Sandberg will no longer produce one. So... I cut this myself. The ESPionage [Edit] pickguard, is black 3 ply. I have it. But... "what the heck/why not" make them HAPPY to be together...? :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    HolmeBass, Winton and Marko 1 like this.
  4. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Besides... honestly... I "think" that both of these "bursts" are really pretty. I'd rather NOT cover them... Just My opinion.

LowActionHero and Marko 1 like this.
  5. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Of course my comment was a joke, in reference to the thread title. :)

and next time get a real fender instead of one of those off-brand things. :D

Artman and Marc DLarosa like this.
  6. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    NICE!!! I love humor!!! Keep it up. TORT RULES!!!

Winton and Marko 1 like this.
  7. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    I can't afford a Fender. and... have you seen the price of pickguards lately?...

Marko 1 likes this.
  8. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    The original, that "bubbled up."

20220517_235726_HDR.jpg
    And... the one that didn't fit.
    20220518_000012_HDR.jpg

Eli_Kyiv, mikewalker and Marko 1 like this.
  9. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    ESP Navigators are EXCEPTIONAL Fender-Shaped-Objects rarely seen on this side of the Pacific. Good on You !

These would be very serious competition to any Fender re-issues of their classics.

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  10. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    She, and My VM-4 are very happy together. Thank You!!! And... yes. Rarity aside.... what a wonderful instrument.

11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    on a nice classic burst it can be a sin to cover it up, I dig the clearguard concept more than actual looks but if tort is ever going to be used it's got to be an exceptional vintage example IMO or why?
    negative/trolling; glad to say I've missed it, another question of why? we're generally a happy lot but these are ever-increasingly stre$$ful times, frustrations are boiling over, hopefully tb will stay cool.

12. Shorelinegold

Shorelinegold Gold Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2017
    All things considered, I'd rather be in Philly
    No one in their right mind would pay me to endorse them....
    [​IMG]

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Them bursts is NEKID!!!!

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    That one on the right has my full attention…

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  15. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    "TORT RULES" i.e. "rules for tort": Kill it with fire.

Marc DLarosa and SloFingers like this.
  16. neddyrow

neddyrow @SimmerinStew - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    the last 2 basses I built were Warmoth builds and I specifically chose the rear route option as I don't really care for pickguards myself. I am currently working on a parts bass that is mostly fender parts and has a tort pickguard. I guess I needed the balance.

Marc DLarosa and mikewalker like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Those look great. The Sandberg P/MM looks like it thumps.

18. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Those Delano's are something special. I'm actually using 'em in one of my current builds...

Killing Floor likes this.
  19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    As good as that bass looks with tort, I like where your head’s at. Intellectual ‘Tort Reform’ for the bass-discussion community. Full confession: I liked a Jazz bass more than a few times, and I have brought a 6-string fretless to a blues jam. I’m not perfect either.

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  20. truand85

truand85 Zig Zag Wanderer Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, yeah.

Needs tort.