Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shamray basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 11, 2005.

1. hello all,

i am just wondering if anybody here has ever tried one. I see their banner ad here all the time, and i checked out the website, and it sounds like a really cool thing, where the bass is completely custom, similar to wishbass's idea (mind you i said idea, the basses themselves look very nice, and the quality appears to be very good. The only downside is that they are out of russia, so that will be somewhat expensive just to ship it! its a minimum $220 extra dollars to ship the bass i had just designed! yikes. well anyways, what does everybody here think of this site?

Shamray basses

Charlie

2. so am i the only one who sees these ads?

i must be going nuts...

3. Hey, Superbassman! I wouldn't even think 'bout any Russians basses (though I get one & pretty happy with she), 'cause everything concerned with Russia is extremely unpredictable (especially customer service). Trust me - Im russian & I live in Russia (for now) :)

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Well there you go huh????

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i cheked ther web once (yesterday b4 reading this) but the prices didnt convince me, its made in Europe and is more expensive here than in the USA :rollno: , + for its european price you can get a JD mastery.

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I'm not too sure about that bridge at first glance but it is different.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I'm also thinking that for similar money I could probably buy a Status or David King.

I love the grain pattern on the back of the body though...wow!

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Before he was in business, a year or two ago, the luthier had a thread here asking questions about building the the headless bass that was made to fit a stratocaster case. If memory serves, he may also have had another thread after that, asking opinions on another bass. If you search and find the thread(s), you may be able to get some idea of the person.

9. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    What "lay_a_groove" says is very true... Russia is traditionally the WORST place in the world for customer service.

But luckily, "The Bass Custom Shop" is being run by ME... and i am NOT Russian (I'm from Vancouver, by way of NYC).

This particular BRAND NEW operation was conceived by me a couple of years ago - after the Shamray shop built me some instruments, and i realized that they have 6 of the world's BEST luthiers all working together in the same shop. Its been three years in the making, and its taken the entire last year to hammer all of the flaws out of the local supply chain (which, combined with Shamray's classic "russian-style" management blunders) resulted in some terribly overdue guitars in 2004, when export sales for their electric guitars began to increase exponentionally.

Anyway I would like to make it clear that "The Bass Custom Shop" offers the highest standards of hand-craftsmanship combined with (mark my words) THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WORLD TODAY. It's managed, directed, and operated entirely by ME, the only Russians involved are the crafters ;)

10. Lectra

Lectra Theloniousmonkeyman

Jul 15, 2004
    Ditto

For what it's worth:

I am the proud owner of the 2nd prototype (P-02) that is born in the Shamray Bass Custom shop. I alway wanted to have a full custom bass where i could decide about every little detail during the whole process.

I've contacted a few manufactures before i went for the Shamray Custom shop and it felt right just from the beginning. Michael is a really nice guy who obviously knows what he's talking about & he always replied to my e-mails within 24h. He told me about his plan of building 7 High end Prototypes before they were releasing the new Shamray bass Custom shop. He liked the idea of my bass so he offered me an option where my bass would take place of the second prototype of 7.

I have to admit though that it was kinda strange transferring money to a Russian company but the whole tranaction went just fine... The price/quality ratio they are offering is just ridiculous !

Let me introduce my bass:

She's a 32 inch (medium) scale fretted 4-string.
    Body sandwich: 24 mm Myrtle body with 0.5 ebony veneer on both sides. 12 mm Figured Mahogany back and a 6mm bookmatched top of 5A Flamed maple.

VERY nice Cococbolo fretboard.
    5 piece AAAAA maple & purpleheart Neck-thru .
    Continuous wood covers.
    Custom handwound Chernishev humbuckers with Ebony covers.

Bookmatched headstock with flamed/birds'eye/spalted maple top & bookmatched figured mahogany back. Schaller gold & chrome hardware. Active/Passive, Mother of pearl logo, dual truss rod, .....

All this for not even 3k with everything included.

Obviously the further down the process i kept on adding details and Michael was giving me new great impulses every week. If you ever think about having a full high end custom boutique bass designed from scratch that is not gonna cost you more than 10k you owe it to yourself to consider these guys.

Please know that i'm not affiliated with Shamray in any way.
    I'm just one of the few lucky bastards who discovered them (and took the risk) before they started building these high end monsters.

Best regards

Take care

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. one thing i noticed in all the images (on the shamray page as well) is that the edges of the bodies look as if they had little to no edge radius...

12. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    Lectra: sorry to hear about the financial crunch. If you do decide to sell it, send me an email and i will advertise it's availability on our gallery page.

l0calh05t: sharp eyes! Yes - there happens to be only 1/4 inch ('slab body') roundover on P-01 and P-02. I think P-03 might have had a half inch radius on the back only, and P-05 has about 1/2 inch all around. Just my own arbitrary choices, we can of course do any edge radius up to completely rounded (Alembic/Spector/Warwick style) - for that matter, the bass can be carved completely 3-dimensional, (a la Kidwell or BassLab or Atlansia), or covered entirely in decorative high-relief carving...

It's really up to the client how the bass looks - I'm only the facilitator...

13. thats cool, i was just a bit concerned because to me the lack of edge radius gives the instruments a "cheap" look, but thats just imho of course

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Lemme get this straight ok? You're a Canadian dude who's contracted with some Russian luthier shop to build you basses to import to the US to your specs??? Correct??

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Explain the bridge to me please.

16. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland

What a nice guy :)

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The late 70's, 80's, and BC Rich have left a three-way calling message asking for their Mockingbird back. ;)

...but seriously, that looks to be some nice craftsmanship there. And, as Dude stated, a fine example of worldwide cooperation.

18. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    dude: here is the story...

I was born on the "Wet Coast" of Canada, and had lived in Vancouver for almost 20 years. However, I met my wife (who is Russian) when she was on holidays in NYC back in summer of 2001. (i was living there at the time)

Since she prefers living in Moscow, I moved to Moscow in November 2001 and I have been living here ever since. NYC is my favorite town in the whole world, but Moscow is a pretty nice place in its own way. I met Shamray by chance shortly after i moved here, and luckily, he speaks English fairly well (because I speak virtually no russian whatsoever)

Over the past couple of years while we have been working on all the experiments for the bass prototypes, I have volunteered as "export manager" for Shamray's custom 'GUITAR' shop (TheGuitarCustomShop.com) and we have successfully exported custom made electric guitars to Sweden, Germany, Canada, USA (NJ, TX, WA, MD,VA, CA, FL, OK), Austria, Norway, Holland, France, Israel, Switzerland, and Hong Kong. More than 50 extremely satisfied clients for hand-made 'export' guitars over the last couple of years - I am very pleased with the success of that work (Before he met me, Shamray didnt export ANYTHING, he mostly made inexpensive instruments for the (mostly cash-strapped) guitarists of the Russian market... He did make some 'deluxe instruments' before i came along, but only a few - for Russian pop stars and oligarchs)

BTW, exactly which bridge are you referring to?

Scarred2112: the client for "P-02" actually asked me to draw him "a cross between an EKO 700 and a Mockingbird". We went through several 'morph' designs and that was the one he liked best - the "racing stripes" were of course BCRich-inspired :)

19. i think Dude is refeering to this one...[​IMG]
    i will agree, it does look a bit strange (and unadjustable, but i can't see the whole bridge).

but let me point out, the shamray basses are completly customizable, and if you don't want that bridge, you don't have to have it!

btw, shamray...any thoughts on coming back to the USA? it seems to me that you'd make more money, because you don't have to add the $300 just to get it out of Russia, and into the US. It seems most of your business is based around the US (by looking at your last post) wouldn't it just be easier for you and your group to move here? it seems like you could get more business if you didn't have that extra 300 tacked on.

Charlie

20. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    actually.. i can't see the pic you posted :)

We use Garantpost 7-day EMS air courier, and (as stated on our website) shipping cost for a 'typical size' bass to USA/Canada is $220 including the packing materials and insurance.

To UK/Europe its only $180.

American customers currently only make up about 20% of the market for the guitar custom shop, actually the majority of our "electric guitar' clients are from Germany, with Sweden and the UK (England/Scotland) not far behind.

We have two guitars under construction now for different clients in AUSTRALIA... and THEY actually do have to pay $300 for shipping ( OZ is a long way from Moscow...)

But to answer your question... the object of this endeavor is not "to make more money" - its simply to allow our crafters to build some exquisite custom bass guitars for discerning clients around the world. There is over 100 years of combined hand-crafting experience in our shop, it seems a pity to let that go to waste.

I don't think its particulary easy to get US visas for a dozen Russian luthiers, and even if it was, i doubt that they would be terribly interested in moving their families to the states (none of them speak very much english, and they all have big extended families to take care of. There are no nursing homes here in Russia - everyone here has parents to look after)

If i wanted to "make more money" the LAST thing i would do would be get involved with any kind of guitar custom shop. I only created this project to try to 'give something back' to the Russian society that i now live in... if they actually had to pay me to do this, then these basses would have to cost a lot more than what they do now!