Shaping a Songs bassline?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Mar 15, 2003.

1. my band is going to do a cover of "Discipline" by King Crimson, and it requiers a Chapman Stick. since i don't have 3 grand lying around, i was wondering in this sort of situation if i could tweak the bassline to something not completely different from what he's doing, but just enough that it will fit for my bass.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Look at the chords and what he is playing in relation to the chords and take out extraneous notes, emphasis the notes that stick out(no pun intended ;) and try and keep within the songs structure.

I'm listening to it right now, and while this is my first time hearing it, I don't see how it would be impossible to mock on a 5 string(which you mentioned you were using in chat earlier)
    maybe if you tuned your 5-string to E-A-D-G-C or D-A-D-G-C to get that higher range.
  3. I have a Whammy pedal, which would get me the higher registers just fine.. it may be cheating.. but the school has never heard the song before! ;). Depending on when we are going to preform, i have to make a "bass friendly" version of it, or borrow my friends Stick when he comes back from ireland
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That;s another thing...if the school has never heard it before then whatever you come up with will still sound cool ya know?

you could also just let a guitarist play the upper register stuff. hahaha