1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shaping feet on adjustable bridge blank

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by neilG, Nov 19, 2018.

1. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Disclaimer: I am not a luthier.
    Some time ago, I made a bridge for a cheap student bass. The blank I was given had adjustable feet, so I glued a piece of wood across them and then chalk-fit them. Is this how most real luthiers do this, or do you avoid adjustable blanks altogether?

robobass likes this.
  2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I think they avoid them, but your approach sees quite sensible.

wathaet likes this.
  3. Are you talking adjustable height or the kind that pivot to match the top of the instrument without needing carving to get close?

4. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Regular screw adjusters, not the pivoting type. Those look like trouble.

5. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Kontrabass-Atelier, Lando Music (Germany)
    Yes, but use lipstick for chalk fitting. And I have a jig screwed on (not glued) to hold the feet together.

6. I avoid adjustables if possible. For blanks, after rough carving to fit the curvature, I use stationary sandpaper on the top, and move the bridge to sand-fit the feet. To keep the bridge vertical and moving in a straight line, I clamp a pipe-clamp to the bridge, and stack blocks at the saddle to guide the pipe. I'll take a utility knife and scrape the sanded foot surface to make it smooth. Gets a pretty good fit.

Mike Saint likes this.
  7. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I have had to use one in the past when ordered by accident. I took out the wheels and superglued the feet to the legs as if it hadn't been cut. Fit per normal bridge, and then sawed them apart and put the wheels back in.
    BG

8. Any reason you used super glue over other choices?

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I’ve done the same. A gel type CA glue is quick and won’t penetrate and stain the wood like a thin glue does.

neilG likes this.
  10. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    It's hard to clamp with another glue, like titebond or something...

Time is money and it's very temporary. I am going to end up sawing it back apart and then sanding.

carl h. likes this.