1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shaping up to a click track fast

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oniman7, Jul 6, 2012.

1. I have an opportunity to try out for a band that plays live to a click track with in ear monitors. I can nail wholes, halves, eights, and even sixteenths if they're straight rock beat. However, syncopated 16ths give me trouble unless the click is counting in 16th notes.

What are some things I can do to shape up fast enough to audition for this band?

2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    it would help if you said the metronome to larger values rather than smaller values

I do tend to think, because I see this in most of my students that you're not actually better when the metronome is on 16th notes it's just harder to notice that your wrong, because theres always something to catch you back up..

Imagine youre flying IN A STRAIGHT LINE from NY to jersey.. If youre off by 1°, youll be ok.. But if youre flying to LA, and your direction is off by a degree, youd be completely off.

Same thing here.
    try setting a click track to do quarter notes, then half notes ,and then whole notes, maybe a few bars each. Practice 16ths, and see how honest youre actually being with time

it may seem like I'm giving you an answer to a different questions but trust me, grasshopper

3. I'm assuming they have percussion of some sort (real drummer?) in addition to the click track? Have them forward a copy of some of their complete songs, and play along with the whole track. It will seem TONS easier when put into complete perspective. Trust me, been there, done that. Don't give up on metronomes altogether, though, they will make you a better player in the long run:)

4. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    what I would do after you found out how good or bad your time is, and then worked on it, is this:
    practice the syncopated things with just your hands on your chest;
    beat out straight 16ths, constant, alternating left and right.
    * 1-e-&-a 2-e-&-a becomes RLRL RLRL.
    what you do then is accent your syncopated lines.
    If it was 1--- -e-- -e-- 4--a you beat
    Rlrl rLrl rLrl RlrL, the capital letters hopefully obviously being the accented notes, ie your syncopated pattern.

* I am using a standard language of division of beat, where 16th notes are named such that '1 e & a'
    represent four 16th notes on beat 1.
    just in case anybody doesn't know the system

5. I can play to a drummer pretty well, but clicks have always given me trouble, and I need to fix it.

I'll probably pay for 2 or 3 private lessons to address the issue.

6. Music is like Silversun Pickups and Nine Inch Nails, I'm told.

7. Kinda odd that they wouldn't forward a specific list/set of songs to learn for the audition-or at least links to specific tunes for you to download and learn. Every gig I've ever auditioned for has either sent me a CD, or youtube links, etc. The only exceptions being classic country and/or rock bands where everyone knows all the songs already. Good luck, dude.

8. The lead songwriter said he'll send me some of their links to see if I'm interested. As far as I know, I don't even have to learn the songs. He says he's teaching the other guys still.

But I need to be able to play to a click to learn them.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Did you meet these people on the internet?

This guy sounds uncomfortably eccentric, and doesn't sound very fun. You don't even have to learn the songs? What kind of audition is this?

The only auditions I have given/received where you don't need to learn the songs, is the first meeting where you go for coffee or somethings so they find out your not an axe murderer, at that meeting you always get a CD and you are told to learn a couple songs off of said CD.

10. No. He's a local guy I've sort of know for a long time. Met him at a show last night and only talked a couple minutes. I would obviously have to learn songs to audition, but likely covers in the style of their music or something. Mostly I'm working off of a conversation I half-heard.

Regardless, I should learn to do this anyways.

11. I guess I should say some of it has to do with my reputation locally. He told me he would send me the stuff and see if I liked it. We'll go from there. He knows me and my playing.

Most likely he'll either send me some stuff they all know (covers), ask me to learn one of their songs, or have me come in and learn them right there in the practice room.