1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shar bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by alanbarnosky, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Anybody have any experience with these instruments? The ones specifically I am thinking of are the Franz Hoffmann basses, made in Romania. Any info you have would be great; quality, set up, anything! Thanks.

Alan

edit: Shar is located in Ann Arbor, MI. I believe there are other branches elsewhere. Website is www.sharmusic.com

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I have no specific experience with these basses but I wouldn't count on an on-line, non-specialty retailer to deliver it with a worthy set-up, certainly not one customized for you. The value of a good setup cannot be overestimated! I'd figure on another $500-750 at least. Someone else around here may know the origin/maker of these basses. I would look into buying it or another bass from a luthier, preferably a local one. Where are you located?

How much do they want for the bass pictured in the left-hand panel here? :)

3. Well Shar is more or less right down the street from me. Wouldn't ever buy from a random shop that I found online... I've played them and they are a breeze to play, and sound good too. But I'm still an amatuer; was wondering if anybody had more experience with them or knew a little bit more.

I've heard some nice things about Shar music. Then again I've also heard some bad things -- they were selling a cello as fully carved, when in fact it was solid wood, but steamed and pressed, not carved. I've actually heard the same thing about Bob Gollihur's basses....

But enough on that. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated -- I probably won't get one, my Kay works fine for now, but curious none the less.

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I went into the Shar in Ann Arbor while visiting a cousin out of curiousity. I thumped on a few of the nicer looking basses they had there and thought they were awful. Wouldn't even consider spending someone else's money(like a school) much less mine on one. For what it's worth.

Ike

5. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    You should see the Shar Carlo Lamberti basses. I think those are much nicer than the Franz Hoffman's. I once took a drive up there. It's a great place, but they need to have more basses to choose from. poke2.

6. charlespf

charlespf

Oct 21, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    To chime in on an old thread, I used to rent one of their fully carved 'soloist' models, and it was okay, plays easily, but nothing special. for my money, i'd recommend gary ritter, who has a bigger inventory than shar, and is in South Lyon. In my experience, Shar, while great for violins, violas and cellos, has very little experience or desire in dealing with basses. Their repair shop also tends to be very sloppy. Gary is also a very good luthier, who will do excellent work, particularly if you buy a bass from him.