Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Share in my epiphany....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fo' Shizzle, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Hello to all......

I wanted to share an experience from the last week. It was a big eye opener for me and possibly a good lesson for us all.
    The band is in the studio recording our 1st album. I've been in the studio several times and using all of the outboard gear and different miking techniques I've created what I felt was a really nice sound. I was using my BP8 pedalboard and the Sansamp DI. For whatever reason, I was getting nothin'. No depth, no presence, no punch. Very frustrating. And you guys out there that have been in the studio know how this goes: engineers will spend 6 hours on the kick drum but they only have about 30 seconds to spend on your bass tone. Here's where the lesson comes in.
    I went from a line level transformer straight into the DAT machine. Suddenly, there it was. Rich, full piano like tone I'd only heard in my head until now. We are running the signal back through the Sansamp for distortion where it's needed. Sounds great.
    The lesson: unplug all the crap; I bet you'll like what you hear.
    Peace,
    Fo

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The Force is with you.

[​IMG]

3. DAT, are you only recording on two channels?

Maybe you meant the ADAT machine?

I usually run direct into the board (JH600, MCI), adding some compression from my LA2A when needed, this is the best tone I've ran across in years.

Good luck on the rest of your studio experience.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Yes ma'am. ADAT. I'm always pleased to see a reply from Treena. First of all, you know your stuff. But more importantly, I enjoy the " What smiley are we gonna get lottery".

5. Glowing eyes !!! EVILLLLL !!! AHH !!!

Also I named Treena smile master. So she needs to change her user status name thing in the avatar area.

Edit, just noticed she has. I see why I shuold pay attention to detail -_-.

6. Thank you kind Sir, on both accounts!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to Misc with you...

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    if I ever make it into a band that records anything seriously, I will hopefully remember this.

-Mike