Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Share your bass design!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvilBassPlayer, May 27, 2002.

1. Hi!

After looking basses all over internet (yeah... including bunny bass) i started to play a little with PSP designing my "perfect" bass body, i concluded my work with a BC Rich-like shape that i really like...

Someone has done this before? Share your comments/designs!

EBP

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey thats a nice shape... too pointy for my taste but definetely cool

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    alright, dude....here it is. my token r+b claw bass. i am getting one of these, baby.....woo hoo!

[​IMG]

that bass just roxorz mah boxorz

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    This is what I 'designed' some time ago. It is based on a Marleaux Consat. The body shape is some kind of a mix of Tobias, Jerzy Drozd and Warwick Streamer. The peghead tries to mimick the telecaster shape, Musicman guitars have similar shape. I think its cool!

BTW. the body top is curly birch, the best looking wood there is IMO.

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
  6. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I have a bass design, but i think im gonna need help posting it. Says the file is too big.
    its 208kb

7. Spectorgirl

Spectorgirl

May 28, 2002
    Here's my bass

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll get the scan up sometime here...it's a sort of Zon Hyperbass meets Modulus Quantum with a Warwick Dolphinish lower body...it's not that wierd looking, but it incorperates a few ideas into it...It's been designed to be a 6+ body, but I found it worked well with 4 and 5 as well...now let me go scan the puppy...

I call it the Griffeth. The elbow cut on this pic is a little wonky, but you get the idea. The "lump" near the bridge is so that the cable would go right through the strap without that ungainly loop, which drives me nuts, because it alwats gets cinched in and pinches the cable anyway. The upper horn would reach about the 12th fret or so (tip of horn, not the base of it). I've drawn it to scale, and it looks really nice. Also take note that it is indeed going to be a neck through, however, it's also where he fretboard would end, hence the squared pocket in the drawing. Possibly a continous top cap...

The headstock would be a bit of Roscoe and some of my own design.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The top w/inlay -
    [​IMG]

The back -
    [​IMG]

The fretboard before inlays were added -

[​IMG]

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much longer until it's done, Rick?

11. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    This is mine. I hope this works - I've never posted pix here.

12. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    The left bass is what I'm having built. The right one is the Fender it is derived from.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Here's one of mine.
    [​IMG]
    I'd probably make the headstock a little shorter.

14. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Lets see if this will work.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks for asking, Jeff. Yeah, those pics are pretty old. Honestly, I quit worrying about a projected completion timeframe when Dave got into the inlay work.

The inlay design and the fretboard wood were a totally new ballgame for him, (and for about any electric bass luthier, I'd bet). The unusual body shape, unusual body dimensions, and preserving the bright color of the cocobolo after it's sanded are ready for finishing are new territory, too. So, my attitude is "take all the time you need to do it right."......(and it helps both of us keep our sanity).

However, he asked me about pickup placements a few days ago, so that seems encouraging.

16. Are you using CAD software for this? (if not, specify, please :D , i want it!)

17. I don't have my film developed, but I'll post a pic when I do. It's a fairly standard design, with a thinner body and longer fatter horns. I've got the design traced to the wood already, just need to get the time to cut it out and glue it up.

I'm using ash for the core, and bookmatched curly walnut.

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    AutoCAD for that one. Sorry.