Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Share your Boss ME50B Effects Settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Hi ppl,

I have just recently bought a new Boss ME50B pedalboard, and after playing around with it for a little while, decided that 98.5% of the effects already stored in memory (from factory) suck big time.

it'd be cool if we could post our favorite settings here... we could benefit from eachother's creativity.

I'll Share some of my Boss ME50B Effects Settings as soon as I have time to jott them down.

Post your combinations of effects or even single effects that have that killer sound you were looking for.
    please include the compression and EQ settings so we can duplicate the exact sound here.

Cheers.

Dave.

2. :help: Nobody bothered? cmon... make an effort people... I Know you gottem! :meh:

3. Since I can't post MP3 files here (right,... or am I doing something wrong) e-mail me and I can send you a sample and a jpeg pic to show you how I got the sounds.

I still use my ME-50B as three dedicated stomp pedals usually set up differently for different projects/bands. I'm more of the on/off guy rather than using the patches.

Ben
    ben_legge@hotmail.com

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Can someone explain to me how the compressor works on this thing? It goes from 1 to 99, and then F1 to F9, and I can't tell what all of this means... could anyone help? Thanks. :)

Graeme

5. I thought I saw this thread a while ago.

I've had mine about three weeks, but the only setting I can offer is:

Compressor on 160 soft - threshold at 11 O' clock other controls at 12.
    along with:
    Distortion set on Bass Drive, again with all knobs at 12 O'clock.

You don't notice how it smoothes out your sound until you turn it off.

Either effect by itself is good, but together, they sound great.

As for the patches, I feel like Forrest Gump trying to translate classical Greek.

I follow what it says in the manual, but all I get is a blinking #2, which I think is the unit asking me to save what I've created, when I haven't created anything. :oops:

If someone could explain how to access the existing patches, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to try the one that's supposed to sound like a tube amp, and the one that says it's good for an R&B sound.

Yes, the unit is laughing at me. :D

Mike

P.S. Octave down sounds really nice, and would probably sound good on a ballad or slow song.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh dammit, I thought the thread was about the DigiTech BP50. Oh man, this is embarassing... uhh... good day!

Graeme :bassist:

7. Can someone tell me, is there a way to run the auto-wah and octave down at the same time (with the natural range that the bass is in)?? In other words regular bass sound and octave down both running through autowah.

I know I can set it octave -1 and then use the wah pedal but I'd rather have it on autowah.

Didnt know if it was possible.. I just got my ME50B yesterday and havent figured out how to do it.

8. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    You can't do octave down and auto-wah at the same time, you can never do two sounds from the same group.

9. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    All you need to do is hit the 2nd and 3rd footswitches at the same time. This will put you in the mode where you can hit each footswitch individually to activate the presets, and by pressing the two little buttons labeled bank you can switch groups, indicated by a number. To go back to normal mode all you need to do is hit the 2nd and 3rd footswitches at the same time again.

On a side note, hitting the 1st and 2nd footswitches at the same time switches to tuner/bypass mode.

10. Well, can I do this??

Have the clean bass signal and an octave down on the pedal both going through the autowah??

11. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    No, the expression pedal will only be the one, low note.

12. I must have done something wrong.

I hit pedals 2 & 3 simultaneously, then most of the lights on the pedal came on and the volume increased noticeably. #1 was displayed in the bank window. Then, when I tried to move to the next patch or bank, I pressed the > button and got the blinking #2, but the tone did not change from the #1 tone.

I'll try again tonight.

Thanks much, Samurai.

Mike :)

13. Oh, I just thought of another question: When you're using one of the factory patches, this will be the one and only tone you get, correct? (no distortion, no phaser, no anything else)

I'm not interested in creating my own patches yet; I just want to try out the factory patches to see how they sound.

Thanks again.

Mike

14. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    When you change to the #2 you have to then press one of the footswitches to load that preset.

15. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Yes and no. Yes you will only get that one tone, but that tone might be phaser, distortion, and wah all at the same time.

16. Any footswitch?

Mike

17. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Yeah. Each bank has three presets, one per switch, for a total of 24.

18. Success!

I got them to work last night. When I first got the blinking #2, I didn't realize that I was in bank #2, and the unit was asking me which patch I wanted to go into by stepping on pedals 1, 2 or 3. :oops:

I didn't have time to check out all the patches, but some of them are downright weird! I'll fool around with them over the weekend.

I don't want to make any comments about this pedal until I'm really familiar with it.

Thanks for all your help, Samurai; I do appreciate it. :)

Mike ;)

19. ... nevermind. started a new thread on it.