Share your BYOC or other pedal kit experiences!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Planespotter, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    image.jpeg image.jpeg So I've been on a bit of a pedal building kick lately. I built a BYOC 27v boost to see if I could do it and it quickly became a mainstay on my board. That led me to building their Leeds Fuzz (super-fuzz clone) which came out great and is pretty awesome as well. Any other TBers care to share your experiences with pedal kits? I'm curious about how well some work for bass as well as just starting a general discussion.

XXL likes this.
  2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The Divided Octave Mutron clone from BYOC has been a constant on my board since I built it, about two years now. 126 components, so it wasn't a fast build, but good instructions really helped. It was my first build.

XXL and Planespotter like this.
  3. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    The divided octave will probably be my next kit. I just have to finish the lazy sprocket I ordered the other day first.

4. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    I have built four BYOC builds.

The 250+
    Leeds Fuzz
    Distorto Segundo
    And boxed up the confidence booster.

The Leeds is my best build, I liked the MXR II build so much I'm in the works with a custom build of the circuit.

Planespotter likes this.
  5. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    Cool! I've been curious about the MXR Distortion II as well. I love the DOD 250+ for guitar but have never tried it on bass. I might have to give that one a go...

6. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida

Heres an old bad pic of all the BYOCs on the board.
    003_zps4c16b14d.gif

250+ > Distorto > Leeds> CB

Heres a YT clip I made of the Leeds:

Here is one of the Distorto Segundo:

Planespotter likes this.
  7. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I'm really digging my Leeds fuzz so far. In fact, it may bump the cloven hoof off my board.

8. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    image.jpeg I finished the Lazy Sprocket today. It's a pretty cool effect, but not terribly useful. Probably why the real Slow Gear is so rare and expensive. Still, it was a fun build even if I had to do quite a bit of troubleshooting to find a mistake I made that kept it from working.

Attached Files:

9. tubedude

tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Tri boost, lazy sprocket and mark 2 tonebender fuzz, all for guitar. Since then I've designed and built 2 pedals of my own a 6 MOSFET distortion box for my son in law, and a wah. I replaced the wah with one I ordered from Wilson audio, as it was so versatile, I use it for guitar and bass.

Planespotter likes this.
  10. dazmond

dazmond

Dec 3, 2012
    Anyone tried the parametric eq? I came across it the other day and it looked very intriguing. Also very intimidating.

11. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I was thinking about the Parametric Compression pedal... for a bass player, that seems essential!

12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Built an Armstrong Twin and a Lazy Sprocket maybe 7+ years ago? Had a good time building them and they sounded good. Sold or traded the sprocket and gifted the atwin to a friend who wanted it. Wish they just made a green ringer clone still. Also, probably gonna pick up some of the lil fuzz kits for funzies.

13. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    Some kits from Musikding. Chorus, Bass Booster, Green Russian Muff, Mastodon, Bazz Fuss, Color Tone Bass Fuzz, Tube Screamer (needed modding to work with bass), couple loop pedals, Booster with internal trim volume, The Lineal Booster, Gallien Krueger preamp pedal... I am pretty sure that was all. Then a Fuzz Dog Bass Balls. I got maybe a little carried away there. I am trying to build other than kits too, but at the moment I've do got a Guitar/Bass overdrive from Musikding, but I am building it for this auction thing. :)

Building kits is so easy and fun.

I forgot the RAT clone. :roflmao: And I love that RAT clone. :bassist: I did the Ruetz mod in it, and its my favorite all around dirt pedal. Its not best of the best in anything, but it can do everything really nicely from mild overdrive to fuzz.

I forgot the DOD 250 clone. Oh my. My go to od with the fretless. I keep the gain really low, and it just ads some warmth and lows tomy fretless sound.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Teijo K. likes this.
  15. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    Do you like the compressor? It looks really interesting. GUMA too, I'd really would like to hear what you think about it too when you build it. :)

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I love that compressor, I botched the drill holes for the metering leds, but the pedal itself is a dream - highly recommended.

Teijo K. likes this.
  17. Got a BYOC Flanger, Super8 and Octave Divider waiting in the wings while I wrangle some other projects.

Since 2016 has been a bit of a bust, I anticipate 2017 will be the Year of Pedal Building.

18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    I also built the the pumpernickel comp. IMO, it's a great sounding compressor as most or all of the THAT equipped comps are:

comp160-01.jpg

19. So....um...ehm.....anyone living in the EU...no, better, anyone anywhere that could build a Guma Drive for me and send it to me? I have zero knowledge and skill, but I heard one some time ago and I am so in love with it...

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    why not just get a B3K?

CBRXJ likes this.