1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Share your compression settings (& whatever else)...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TonyP-, May 11, 2011.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Share your compression settings.

Compressor settings, what do you use and why?

I'm usually use about 180 ms for release and almost at 4:1 ratio with about -8db of reduction.

I'm using the DBX 166XL (I have read that highs can get soft, but I'm not really hearing that).

What are you using?

Any place special you put it in the chain?

Are you a plug-in person or outboard kind of user?

Keep it positive folks...

2. johntague

johntague

May 23, 2008
    I would love to know more about bass compression too. I would love to be able to dial in the two sounds that are my faves,
    here they are:

"La Femme D'Argent" by AIR. Nicolas Godin on Bass

and

"Rio" by Duran Duran. John Taylor on Bass

Any help would be awesome

3. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    Subbed.

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass

Try my settings for this...It should pretty much be that.

However JT plays kind far back then most technique wise (I do as well) and that also contributes to that sound.

Let me know what you have found...

Cheers

5. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    I'm relatively new to bass playing, and just bought an Aguilar TLC. I'm mystified as to what the four knobs are for (level, threshhold, attack, and slope) because there is nothing in the product literature to describe the function of each knob. OK, level is basically volume, but what are the rest for? I haven't really read anything that explains them well.

PS- You may be wondering why I even bought this, given I don't know how it really functions, but I've read that compression can help smooth out uneven dynamics somewhat, and yes, I would be using it as a crutch for inadequate technique - Like I said, I'm a new player. Any help is appreciated.

6. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    ^^ http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/TLCManualV1.pdf
    There's some explanation in the manual. Basically with compression, Threshold is the point at which compression kicks in. With a higher threshold, if you play with a soft, lighter touch, the compression won't kick in- then when you start digging in a bit more, the "harder" notes will compress. A low threshold will give you compression at softer notes.
    Attack is when the compression kicks in, so the articulation of your note won't (or will, depending on settings) be compressed.
    Slope controls the ratio, which is basically how heavy the compression will be. Smaller ratios (counter-clockwise) will give a more subtle effect, larger gives more.

7. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    to the OP, I use a Diamond BCP-1, which I love. It's got a fixed ratio around 3:1. I set the "comp" to about 1-2. EQ at 11, and the volume at unity.

8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    there are no settings that should be used across the board. it depends on what you are compressing, and how it currently sounds vs. what you want it to sound like. compressors are probably the hardest pieces of studio gear to learn how to use effectively... when you turn the knob on the EQ, you hear the difference immediately, and you know if it's good or not. with compression, it's much more difficult to hear it working, and often times you don't want to hear it working at all, you just want it to turn down the loud stuff and turn up the quiet stuff... check out this how-to-use-compressoin primer. good luck!

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.