Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Share Your Crazy Cat Stories!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 29, 2005.

1. In light of Mike Money's "Cat: 1 Sisters Boyfriend: 0" thread, I wanted to hear some crazy cat stories, seeing as they can be pretty crazy animals.

Here's One of mine.

My family and I had this cat that I had made crazy from teasing it and playing games with and stuff, and it got a little case of fleas. We figure no big deal, we'll slap a flea collar on him. So we go out and buy one, come back to the house and I grab the cat. As soon as my mom gets that collar anywhere near that cat, it goes absolutely crazy and puts a deep scratch down the length of my forearm and broke the hell out of there.

Share your stories!

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I hear mikes cat took a poop in a shoe... thats craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazie maaan, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw maaaaaaan

I have one but its sad:(

I never seen a cat fly before though...

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    good gosh where do I start... our cat is pretty funny, too much personality for one feline.

1.) we just bought a condo and in the downstairs hallway we have one wall completely covered with a mirror.... well abby (our cat) is one of those cats that isn't really cool living with other cats, or animals. So as you can guess, she has been trying to start fights with herself in the mirror. It usually stats with a low hum and then like a cougar just rips into a hissy fit, attacking the mirror and totally messing up her paws.

2.) as for coughing up hairballs, abby used to like hanging out on my desk's chair during the daytime cause the sun hits it at the perfect time for her sun-nap... well on this one occassion, she had to dispense of a sizable ball of foodhairrandompukeplantstuff, but she was to comfortable to get up... So very calmly, quietly and with little effort, she coughs a slow mound of fun on my swivel chair... To this day I haven't been able to fully enjoy sitting in it since.

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    About 5 years ago, my ex's great aunt passed away, and she had kept several cats as pets. The rest of her family was set on hauling off these 5 or 6 old kitties and having them put down, so we hustled and got all of them homes except one: Tree. She was over 20 years old, blind, deaf, had something like 3 teeth in her head, was always covered in dust, and was missing one of her back legs; her great aunt had found the cat in a tree, sans leg, as a kitten, and so....

So, we took her in. We figured Tree wouldn't adjust well to moving, being so old an set in her ways, and having to go without the woman who'd cared for her for so long, but that we could make her comfortable over the winter, and that she probably wouldn't last until spring.

Wrong.

Tree moved in and completely dominated my other two cats. She was fearless, and would throw her little dusty sack of bones over the arm of the couch to attack the others. She lasted the winter, then the spring, then the next winter, then....

She finally passed away, i'm told, 2 years ago: she'd taken to spending all her time sleeping by the radiator, and one day she just didn't get up again. But, if you gotta go.....pampered three legged housecat is somewhere at the top of the karmic ladder.

That's my story.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    When one of my cats was a kitten, about 5-6 months old maybe, he got a case of fleas, so I was bathing him to get rid of them. He's wound a bit tight, and still is...and this situation was NOT helping him. Well, I keep a tight grip on him SOMEWHERE whilst washing him, and all is going well...until...he gets loose.

Now, I'm figurin' the lil' booger is just gonna scoot for cover, but NOOOOOOO, he turns and BITES ME! On my left thumb....and bites THROUGH my thumb nail!

:eek:

Talk about HURT.

I just had a snap reaction, and smacked him, a wee bit too hard, and knocked the poor dude out cold. Totally flipped me out...my grandmother witnessed the whole thing and was INSISTING that I go to the emergency room (cat mouths are pretty funky), but I flat refused until he came to.

Don't worry he's fine, even now, 15 years later....the white fuzzball (aka Obi Wan) is lying across my lap as I type this, sound asleep, purring his heart out. He's a real character, to say the least.

:)

6. Here is an excerpt from a letter to a friend about one of my cats (Mister Widgeon) - who lived until 2002. He was 2 or 3 years old when this was written (1991)

19-ii
    Mr. Widgeon has invented a new game. I was fast asleep in bed, and this morning at about three a.m. was woken up by something wet being dropped on my face. Mr. W. had taken a ball of paper (pretend mouse), dropped it in his water bowl (remember he is a water-loving cat - see letters passim), fished the bloody thing out, and dropped it on the face of the slumbering self. Needless to say, this woke me up, and being in a good humour (God knows why), I decided to join in. I threw the paper-ball into the living room, Mr. W. dashed after it, and repeated the whole procedure. After a couple more times (by now I was wide awake) I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing, so I got up to see exactly what he was doing, and sure enough, after he retrieved the “mouse”, off he went to the water bowl, dropped it in, fished it out, and made a bee-line for the bed. The whole sequence was repeated about another half a dozen times, each time, Mr. W. doing the same thing. The game is called “Wakey! Wakey! - Wet Fish (or Mouse)” - we haven’t decided which yet. I nervously await to see if there will be a repeat performance tomorrow morning_

20-ii
    Nope - this morning perfectly normal - no WWWF(M) game!

02-v
    Phoned you today and was reminded of half-finished letter…

I remember him doing a similar thing a couple of times in the next 10 years, but (thank god!) it didn't become a regular habit!

- Wil

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    about 8 years ago. the cat somehow found its hind leg tangled in one of the loops of a plastic bag.... so it ran frantically around the house trying to get it off. scratching at it and stuff

it was quite funny

8. But I'm a crappy typist, so a short one or two: I've had a deaf cat for nearly 15 years now. She also has no equilibrium(sense of balance). We used to keep her in the house, & the first time she got out & saw a tree, she ran full-throttle straight up said tree, to the point I couldn't quite grab her w/a hastily-fetched 6 foot ladder. So instead of turning around like any 'normal' cat would, she just lets go. You know the old saying, "cats always land on their feet?" Well. old Mukka-Mukka never heard that one. From a good ten feet, she just half-rolls, down- WHUMP- bounces, breath knocked out of her, & runs full-throttle back into the house. Never climbed a tree again.
    And Izzy-Whizzy, a Manx, spent an hour or so fetching a little rubber frog. Someone must have told her that's a dog thing, though; she never did it again.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yesterday, my cat stalked and killed a squirrel.

10. OK, this one requires some set-up: We bought our house about a year and a-half ago, and it needed extensive renovation. So, while the inside was being gutted and re-done, we were staying at my in-laws' rental house. We couldn't keep the cats with us because my mother-in-law is allergic, so we left them in the basement of the new house and I went and checked on them every day.
    The basement has a drop ceiling and when we bought the place, the tiles were all rotted from moisture, so I took them out but didn't get around to replacing them for a few weeks. The cats managed to jump up into the ceiling and walk around, routinely coming out upstairs through holes in the walls. This concerned me a bit, but I didn't think anything of it until I didn't see my cat for about three days. I figured she was just hiding. Then my wife calls me at work and says, "I was at the house and heard some meowing from inside the walls, but I had to leave for a meeting."
    So, now I'm freakin' out. I bust outta work and drive like crazy to the house. The tile guy is there working, and he says he heard the meowing, too. We couldn't tell where it was coming from -- sounded like upstairs. We tore up about $300 worth of fresh drywall, to no avail. The meowing kept getting fainter. I didn't know whether she'd been in there for three hours or three days. Finally, a friend of ours came over and managed to figure out that the cat was in the wall behind the clothes dryer. She must have been pointing her head upward and meowing, giving the illusion that it was coming from upstairs. We cut up the new drywall behind the dryer and there she was on the floor, covered in drywall dust. Apparently, she'd been walking along the ceiling beams and fell. So, I lift her out of there, and she freaks out and runs into the dirt side of the basement. Took me another 45 minutes to retrieve her.
    We told my in-laws the story, and that we were going to have to keep the cats at their place for a couple days. During which time my cat crapped and peed all over the place. :scowl:

11. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i'm usually immune to cutesy 'why i love mr. muffin' crap, (no earthshattering amount of offense intended) but this story, i can tell:

(DISCLAIMER: there will be scenes of spanking in this narrative, and not the kind you pay for online. i would not do this now that i am older and more sueable. the animal involved was not harmed, still loved us, and told us repeatedly that if it weren't for us, he would have ended up smoking crack and having a sexchange, so don't bother having a PETA attack. have some more tofutti instead.)

1982. i had just gotten married. (thank you for your condolences...i fixed that mistake a few years ago.) we had a dog, called Brandy, then somehow acquired a cat, whom we named Vladimir, or Cat for short.

cat and i got along well. we were both unaltered males who liked to spray furniture, so life was good. only prob was that Cat liked to attack our feet at night when we were in bed.

one night, having gotten punctured one too many times, i grabbed Cat by the scruff and whacked his ass...i must point out that we had an electric blanket which was rather staticky.
    while i whacked his little kitty ass, sparks started to fly. i turned to my wife and said, 'look, dear...watch what happens when i beat Cat!' i did a repeat performance, and she said 'cooool, honey...can i beat Cat?' 'but of course, my sweet!'
    so we had a Cat beating party, sparks flew, Cat freaked, got away, and never bothered our feet again.

don't you just love pets?

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    We have three cats, two males, one female. The boys are both manx (no tails to speak of) and the female has a full-length tail. We have a floor-to-ceiling cat tree made from cardboard tubing and it has three platforms made of particle board. It's all carpeted (really saves the furniture!). Our fearless female, ShaNayNay ('Nay, for short) likes to go up to the top level where there is a window across the top of our picture window (cat TV). One day, I'm sitting watching TV, when she runs full-tilt up the tree. A large dragonfly was lazily flitting about outside the top window. Nay was perched precariously on the edge of the top window, watching the dragonfly bonk into the glass. Thunk, thunk, thunk...thunk, thunk...I looked up in time to see Nay crouched down in the attack position, butt wriggling to ensure good traction. Before I could do or say anything, the dragonfly bumped the window again, and she launched. Thunk...rrrRROw!SMACK!...she lauched herself so hard that I can still see it in slow motion- small black cat coiled up, launching, flying the 8 inches or so from the edge of the highest point in the room, her head impacting the glass, the rest of her body doing an accordion into her neck, then bouncing off the glass into thin air!!! At the last second, she shoots an arm out, catches the edge of the lowest platform, which flips her upside down and she finishes the fall to the floor. I heard an audible "OOOF!" out of her as she bounced off the floor and up onto the bottom platform. Her front arms locked around the post of the tree, and she was NOT letting go, come hell or high water...she shook her head a few times, then tried to stand. When she did, she fell over sideways into my arms...I took her over to the couch, observing her weird behavior, petting her and soothing her (her feelings were hurt more than she was!) I thought she had knocked herself out cold when she hit the glass! Maybe she did, it took about 5 minutes before she could stand up and walk again!

Another thing about 'Nay- she loves water! She hears the tub filling in the morning and comes in and sits on the edge of the tub, smacking the water, trying to catch it in her paws. When I hit the diverter to the shower, she goes to the back of the tub and sits in the corner while I bathe. When I am rinsed off and I turn the water off, she jumps into the tub and chases the last of the water down the drain. Once that is gone and I am toweling off, she'll jump up on the side of the tub and furiously lick my ankles and feet trying to dry me off. Weird little cat, but the most fun to interact with! :D

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    My now departed bestest buddy in the whole world and official coolest cat ever, Anniken, used to do the same stuff 'Nay did with water, almost to a "T". He was totally fascinated by running water, and would hang out in the shower with me, just totally rapt. (He was probably thinking something like "What sane creature would willingly stand under all that water?!?!? :confused: I mean, he SEEMS intelligent enough...he knows where my food is, and when to feed it to me...he remembers exactly where to scratch me for the most effective purr...he even cleans my litter box regularly...I just can't figure it out...")

:D

My other cat, the one from the first story, Obi Wan (yeah, I know I'm a GEEK...but keep in mind that Anniken was 17 when he passed last August, and Obi is now 15 :spit: ;) ), also has a "water fetish". He will raise holy $%@$^ if you go into the bathroom and shut the door...he is CONVINCED that the only reason you go in there is to turn the faucet in the sink on for him, so he can lick the water coming from the tap. His other trick is that half the time, he doesn't drink water from his water dish (which is a fancy "fountain" type...I so spoil him!) in the "normal fashion" by just licking it, no...he has to "pat" the surface of the water a few times with his paw, then lick the water off his paw.

Weirdo.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...oh, and speaking of insects and cats...Obi Wan, the white wonder, in his youth twice, with more than just one witness (my ex-wife would attest to this) knocked a spider off of an 8' ceiling. From the floor.

I know, I know, there's NO way...but he did.

He backed up across the room, staring at the spider the whole time. Both times, the spider was near where the wall met the ceiling...he sprinted across the room, jumped as high as he could (about 5' up), pushed off the wall at just the right angle, reached up and tapped the spider with his front paw...

...and then LANDED on it.

Not once.

Twice.

:eek:

And neither time did I have a video camera!

:bawl:

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ^that cat has talent!

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Had...he's a bit old to pull that feat off any longer.

....he's still a cool cat though! :D

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Obi Wan still has the force though.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My cat HATES people of color.

When the gardners are here, he goes crazy, scratches at the door and stuff.

our Schwans delivery man is black, and spike always attacks him...

Meh. its weird.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Y'know...that may just be how he pulled that off..........

....he's also part Siamese, and will carry on lengthy conversations with people regularly. He even talks to my grandmother on the phone! :eyebrow: (She talks back to him....)

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I used to have a 105 lb. black lab named Sherman, he found both my male cats during rainstorms, and rescued them. Bob, the first one, is black and white, manx, and whenever I'd feed Sherm, he'd hear the crunchies going into the bowl. He'd come flying over, jump into Sherman's bowl, while Sherm was eating, and commence to getting his grit on...Sherman would act like he wasn't there, mostly. One time, though, Sherm decided that Bob had stolen enough of his grub, and so he carefully grabbed him around the chest, then carried him away from the bowl and flipped him up onto the couch. He ran back over, and finished his meal just before Bob got there. So here's this 8-week old tiny cat, just drenched with dog slobber, trying to climb back in the now-empty bowl. Sherman picked him up the same way, this time dropping him into the bowl, then walked away. Bob was so little he couldn't hardly get out...

I used to give Sherman those big rawhide bones to chew- the 8" ones. Bob, seeing Sherman's obvious joy at chewing them, tried to take them from him. He was about 4 months old, before he started to get big, when one nite we heard this weird scratching sound coming from the hallway. It was really dark, and we kept hearing this noise, almost like a rat or something. I got up out of bed to investigate, turned on the light, and there was Bob dragging this bone almost as big as he was across the floor over to the rug the coffee table sat on. He jumped up on top of the bone and started gnawing on it. I don't know how he managed to get it away from Sherman (actually, I do- he waited til Sherm fell asleep..). Anyhow, I sat there and watched him for about 20 minutes as the silly cat chewed on this bone. In the morning, I gave another bone to Sherman, and Bob showed up right next to him for his. I tried getting some of the ones for a small dog to give Bob, but he only liked the big ones! He'd wrestle it for a bit, then gnaw on it for an hour or two- actually ate the ends off of them!