Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Share your experiences with Alopetia Areata or other hair loss problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassist31588, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Hi, I'm mainly around the amps forum when Im here and on Harmony Central Bass Forum. I'm soon to be 15 and I have alopetia areata which is patches of hair loss. I have a bald spot on the top back of my head and its getting big, and it's also moving forward 'towards' my forehead (not bald, but it's visible 'under' the hair in front of the bald spot that there's hair being lost and it's damn visible). I've been wearing a bassball cap at school, and I find that being a real pain in the ass at home as it messes up my hair and any roughness with my hair to style it causes in more hairloss. I can't shampoo my hair without filling up my hands with hair. I have my first app. with a dermotologist on thursday. This has been going on for a month so far, no sign of improvements and its just falling out. I feel my birthday present in two weeks will be a wig:rolleyes: .

I just want to know if any of you know anything about my condition, whether you've experienced it yourself and what you've done. My mom doesn't want me shaving my head as she thinks it's 'dumb'.

It's depressing, I'm not gonna post pictures of it like I did on HC. It's gotten bigger since then (4 weeks ago or so). I don't know what the hell to do anymore. Crew cut, would that make my hair look like im not 'as' balding?

Share your experiences...

:spit: <--that's me spitting the hair out of my mouth that lands on my pillow at night:(

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have seen some patients with that condition at some clinic I went...

the cause is mostly unknown and there's no specific treatment...

hope it doesn't spread that much :meh:

hope you get well

ps: just read that your condition is REVERSIBLE :)

go see a dermathologyst and GOOD LUCK!!

3. yeah, my doctor says that it's temporary, but he won't 'promise me' it will grow back, but most of the time it does. I have an appointment with a dermotologist on Thursday. I'm not showering anymore until I notice that none is coming out on my pillow or anywhere else, just to keep what I've got. That's kinda gross though, Today is the first day in 3 years that I havent taken a shower:bawl:... I suppose I can take showers without washing my hair, but I'll wash it once or twice a weeks as 'needed'. I don't roll around in the mud or anything.

DEPRESSING:spit:

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm sorry to hear about that :(

I hope you recover.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sorry ot hear of your issues! I started to develop my advancing forehead at about 14-15! I then had my hair fairly normal. A few years later, I had it shaved in short at the sides, and spikey on top!

It then spent 7 years just growing. For the past 6 it has been shaved in at about number 2, then 1, and now once a fortnight I shave it with a Mach3 razor and shaving foam.

My father has a smooth dome, his father had one, and I've noticed up on top, my hair is thinning out! So I keep shaving it, it's one less thing for me to worry about every day!

Maybe it's something to consider, maybe it's not something you want to consider. Whatever way this goes for you, I hope it works out so that you are happy with it! :)

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    In most cases the loss is quite temporary. Washing or not washing has NO effect on the rate of hair loss. So wash it before you stink up the place.

Mike

7. I just got back from a dermotologist appointment. She said that it doesn't look good. The rate at which my hair falling out is that I may lose it all and it may not grow back. She prescribed some medicine to me that'll make me hyper (thats all i need) and I may not be able to sleep and it may raise my BP... ****in' A'. No sleep, being hungry, raise in BP, getting more hyper (I cant sit still half the time). I dunno, but I asked her about vitamins and I went to GNC and got some Biotin and Zinc. It'll be good for me either way and may strengthen the hair I do have.

Screw hair, who needs it?:mad: I'm not getting laid anytime soon.:rolleyes:

8. Katrina Moser

Katrina Moser

Apr 3, 2007
    People like you are the reason people like me need medication.!