1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Share your ideas for a soundproofed basement practice room/mancave!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Strat-Mangler, May 28, 2012.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    Just bought a house and am looking forward to finishing the basement. :)

Feel free to throw some suggestions as to materials I should use, design ideas I should implement, finishing touches you'd love to see, etc...

If you have access to some pics of mancaves that made you say "Niiiiiice!", by all means post them here as I cannot get too many ideas for this project.

Once done, I hope for it to be my go-to place whenever I want either some peace & quiet, to be truly in my own space, or to just jam the day or night away! :bassist:

What say you, TB brothers?

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If you want the sound to stop at the walls of the room, keep it all separate from the rest of the house. Then, make sure the materials are dense and it's insulated well so the sound is A) absorbed, B) blocked and C) unable to be radiated from the walls or ceiling to the rest of the structure. Putting up acoustic panels will do almost nothing to keep the sound from getting to the rest of the house.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Remembered this from an episode of Flip this House the other day:

SupressĀ® Sound-Engineered Drywall seemed to have some good results with an STC rating of 50-67, depending on wall assembly.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Isolated room within a room.

5. drerio

drerio

Aug 8, 2010
    So I know you can do it much cheaper... I went with panels from ATS: http://www.atsacoustics.com/. And since my music room has a window I added an acoustic curtain: http://www.acoustic-curtains.com/.

I live in a townhouse and the room includes my son's drum kit. So far in the five years with this setup no complaint from neighbors... Oh add a solid core door if it currently has a hollow core at the entryway. Air circulation will be the final touch.

6. This ^

7. I did that in a friends basement, it was a pretty easy job and took a couple days with three of us working on it.

We used those (http://images.fordaq.com/p-9790000-9784167-D0/Europalette.JPG) as the main building material and some foam chips we got from a foam insulating company (bought it by the kilo)

What we did was staple some neting, then black cotton fabric around the wooden thingies (don't know what you call them in english!) and fill the inner gap with foam chippings. We used some "thingies" mounted on rubber bumpers to create a floating floor and then built walls with more of them, using the floor as a base, just screwing them to each other leaving a 10 cm gap of air between the new wall and the house wall.

The roof was a bit harder, we basically used 2 by 4 that we screwed to the top of the wall made of "thingies", put netting on it and then filled the gap between the ceiling and the netting with more foam.

The whole inside was covered of black heavy duty stage carpet that we stapled to the wood frame.

The total cost was around 250 euros, it was all made with recuperated materials and works really well and doesn't look to bad

With a full band playing loud inside, the volume outside of the door was around 75db, which is really pretty low.

We used that design because the whole thing could not be permanent since it is a rented house, nothing is attached to the walls or ceiling... And it was cheap, and kind of fun...

8. Sandbags. Lots of sandbags. That'll kill any sound coming from your basement. No one will be able to hear them scream!

9. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens
    This is what I was thinking. Why doesn't the OP just admit he's building a Dungeon of Torture.

10. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Damascus, MD
    taps.jpg

:bassist::D

11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    "Mancave" in the title made my day.:D

^^^This!

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you have any exposed pipes on the ceiling/walls as many basements do, cover them in foam. We practice at my drummer's house and he did this, and it's saved my bass' headstock half a dozen times now.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    Well, I don't drink so that's off the table, but keep 'em coming! :D

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    Truth be told, I was planning on perhaps hiring a project manager for this so I wouldn't have to supervise and micromanage every minute detail, but would nevertheless require to have final say.

From what I read, I might have to also hire an acoustical engineer to determine the best way to soundproof the basement. He'd also have a bit more of an idea regarding materials and building techniques to use for optimal results.

16. drerio

drerio

Aug 8, 2010
    If you have the money, ok... Could be expensive. I think you may consider that these can be fun DIY projects.

17. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm far from being a handyman. Couple that with hating manual labor and wasting time doing the work and it'd be the perfect recipe for me to get frustrated.

I'll delegate the headaches to somebody else and enjoy the end result instead. :)