Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Share your thoughts, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Louise, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Louise

Louise

Feb 16, 2005
    N
    Hello good people

I'll be going to Austin, Texas, to find something with strings attached to it, for playing. (Living in Norway.)
    I'm mainly looking for a bass, but I'm really not studying names
    or magazines so I'm not very familiar with all my choices.

I'm thinking of getting one of these nice P-basses, but I know
    there are different kinds to choose from, even here..
    Any of you good people can tell me what you prefer, - and why? Doesn't necessarily have to be a Precision as long as you think it's good enough. I just want to know a little bit more before I buy.. I would be grateful for your recommendations.

And just for asking; What (about) would be the $ for a new P-bass in the States?

Thanks
    Louise

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    BASS EMPORIUM!!!! John Files is a great guy and he'll be alble to help you out. My choice would be something with J bass qualities but that's me. Good Luck!

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Basses are very personal things, everyone likes something different. Just spend a day in a store that has loads of basses and get your hands on as many as possibly. After so long you'll find one that says "BUY ME" on it...

Ray

4. Louise

Louise

Feb 16, 2005
    N
    Thank you's

Yes, I know it's a personal business (and it still is) getting the one I feel is right for me, that's why I asked for recommandations, - since Im not the type to try out 1500 types.. : )

Beers,
    L

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I second the Bass Emporioum. I also used to shop at MusicMakers on S. Lamar. Good luck- if it feels good, and sounds good, it must be good.

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Don't forget Heart of Texas Music, off S Lamar. You might also check out the ads for private parties who have basses for sale. When I lived in Austin that was a great source for used instruments at reasonable prices.The important thing is to play each bass and buy with your hands and ears, not your eyes. Happy hunting and good luck.

7. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    For live music in Texas, Austin is the place to be.

+1 to all of the suggestions above.

A brand new P-bass is usually $800 - $900 at most shops. Do some serious shopping and your sure to find a sweet deal.
    Don't forget to check out used basses... you might be able to find a pristine bass that someone else has "taken the hit" on.

8. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Well bass emporium might not be the best idea, thats alot more high end stuff. I live in Austin and live really close to Bass Emporium. John is a really great guy but depending on what youre looking for, I would say go check out Guitar Center, Musickmakers, and Ray Jennings guitar store( Heart of Texas music). Also Bass emporium is right next to guitar center and he is always fine with people coming in just to check out and play stuff.Also how much are you looking to spend? Good luck
    -Greg

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Can't go wrong with bass Emporium. Guitar Center is OK. Just don't expect any help.Guitar Reserruction carries G&L and is also a Fender dealer.

If you really want to spend some dough call Austin Bass Traders for your own personal bass "experience"

10. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I had a feeling someone would mention Austin Bass Traders...Glenn is another really cool guy, but that is very high end stuff and not really what your looking for if you want a p...I highly reccomend to STAY AWAY from guitar ressurection,not the friendliest people also their prices are way too high...if you can try going to houston and checking out Parker Music...they have great prices...they are selling an Alembic rogue 5 with a purpleheart top for 2500!! a new one that is as well...
    Yea guitar center you probably wont get a lot of help with..but some of the guys their are really cool so you might actually get some good help. Its really going to depend on your price range.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    San Antonio ain't but about 60 miles south, so head down there to Hermes Music on San Pedro just a block south of Loop 410. Herme's is great because they don't mind if you have an impromptu jam session. Everytime I've gone in there, someone's banging something out and then someone usually joins in somewhere along the line.

12. Louise

Louise

Feb 16, 2005
    N
    Beauty guys, - I'll be noting these names and places.
    I'll be at the (string) trade fair in Austin from march 11-13 (I believe..) and after that I'll be walking around until the music festival starts on march 16. So I'm gonna try to find some of these places you've mentioned. My travelling mate has been in Austin several times the last 4 years, so perhaps he knows a couple of them. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Although, If any of you think that there's more to mention, don't be shy. I will be checking this forum now for a while : )
    Oh, and answers must be in proper essay form.

Thanks again,
    Louise

Dubble Oh, - I think I have to draw the line somewhere about $1200/1300, there about... something...I think... But who knows if I'll find the one..

13. Louise

Louise

Feb 16, 2005
    N
    One more question brought over from another thread:

Originally Posted by Jean Lançon
    +1.

About the wide neck, there is a 70 MIJ reissue at Ishibashi Music that has a thin neck (like a J). I had one, and it was one of the best P's I ever played.

-------------------------------------

which P? i'm looking at them but can't tell the width of the neck since they all say oval 432mm.
    thanks
    kyle

Me being a f think this is interesting, - anyone?

/L

14. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Perfectly stated. They are very personal. What is fantastic for one is just another bass to another. American P-basses are great if you like the radius and width of the neck. Same with Jazz basses. I like the neck, but hate the body and electronics.
    Personal choice and play as many as you can find the one YOU like the most and there you have it. :meh:

15. Louise

Louise

Feb 16, 2005
    N
    Heh

Well, thank you all : )

/L

16. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
  17. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Wow... first time I've seen this... definitely a bookmark for that!

18. Louise

Louise

Feb 16, 2005
    N
    Well, - now Im back from Texas, and I brought with me a bass.
    Wondering if you knew anything in partiqular about this one, good or bad. It´s a 1995, 50th anni (1 of 500 if that says anything), p-bass.

Now, did I do well or just ok..

Thanks,
    Louise