1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Share your tips for social media

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by b-bottom, Dec 27, 2016.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Lets share experiences with what works and what doesn't when it comes to gaining fans and selling music and merch when it comes to social media. Personally I'm wondering how often you post be it multiple times a day or week and what kind of posts do you find do the best?

I've found that Thursday and Fridays from 1-4pm are some of the best times as well as 3pm on Wednesdays. At least when it comes to Facebook.

2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I agree with those days and times. I put up a blurb Monday morning as well, I like to let any followers at least have an idea of what is going on later in the week as early as possible.

I post something Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoon, usually with different artwork or photos. If it is for a Saturday gig I shoot one last message out after the van is loaded.

A lot of times I will post a photo of the stage setup or our sound check about a half an hour before we hit the stage.

3. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    We live stream at practices and gigs. Usually pick up a few new fans doing that.

Also venues really like it too if you really promote them as well.

saltydude likes this.
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    About 10 days before a gig I'll post on FB. I usually include a link to the venue's website or social media page in my post. Then I'll post again two or three days before the gig. And I always post something a day or two after the gig ... thanking fans who attended, praising the waitstaff and bartender, etc, etc.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    How many people watch those streams? Personally, whenever I see that stuff on my feed I ignore it

6. Do you guys create an event and invite your friends?

7. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Absolutely. I also contact the local papers and radio stations...make and hang flyers...post in FB groups. I also post on Instagram and Twitter. Of course there is also word of mouth and try to get the other bands on the bill involved as well....lots and lots of networking.

8. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    At practices? I suppose if you're doing a run-through, why not. Speaking only for myself, I hesitate at the idea of showing 'em how the sausage is made. :D

EdO. and 3Liter like this.
  9. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans

Sorry, I should have specified. Only like 30 second or a minute of live streaming. Like a teaser or preview.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  10. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Usually no one. But people do get a notification that we were live so they may click over and see what we were up to.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    No, in consideration of the targeted audience. Only because I get so many of these from other bands/players ... no one ever says "not going" (I don't, anyway), and the reminders of upcoming events I have no interest in can be annoying to me, as I imagine the would be to others also.

12. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    The responses to the invites from the event usually give me a good idea of the turnout. Let's say 50 people say they are going to be there...I'll cut that number in half and subtract like 5. And that's usually pretty close to the actual number

Ekulati likes this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Once you've got a Facebook fan base, you get all kinds of goodies from them. For example:

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 4.58.18 PM.

Cost to us: Nothing.