Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sharing an Amp: My Biggest Irk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moptoptony, Jan 18, 2004.

1. I'm having a tad bit trouble cutting the mix in my garage band. The reason is because I share my amp with our keyboardist.

I think that it's a good thing that I know WHY this is so, but figuring out a way to bypass it has been a hassle.

I play a 1996 Fender '75 Reissue Jazz Bass. The strings are pretty new (bought the bass off eBay for Christmas, came with new roundwounds). I have a Behringer 60W amp that I bought brand-new during the summer. We play in a big greenhouse in the middle of nowhere, so I doubt acoustics are the main problem.

What should I do to cut the mix properly enough?

2. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
  3. That's the other problem: No extra amp.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But it's not your problem. Having an electric instrument with no amp in a band is is the same thing as drummer with no drum heads.

There's no excuse to be actively participating in a band with no amplification of your own (there are some exceptions, but by and large).

I'd tell herr keyboardist to go get his own amp or bugger off. In the nicest possible way, I mean.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Get a bigger amp.. Somehow, just get a bigger one. 60W would hardly be able to cut through anyway. The Keyboard will cut through easier because Keyboards usually play higher than the bassist (except when they use their left hand), so the frequency is higher and cuts through easier.

6. Generally speaking bass needs at least 100 watts to be heard over drums. also tell the keyboardist to get his own darn amp. keyboard amps are not that expensive. he probably only needs a 50 watter or something.

but I can gaurentee that you will need a bigger amp eventually. perferably 200 watts or more.

7. Bingo! If you have a PA have him use that.....like the others have said "Not your problem".

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Shouldn't this be in Miscellaneous?? Not really bass (or amp in essence) related.

9. Don't share, I used to have vox going through half of my rig before we got a PA and it sucked for me.

If you plan on upgrading the rig sometime and the keyboardist still hasn't clued in, get a 2-channel poweramp and it shouldn't be as much of a problem.