sharing bass rigs? anybody do it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basilwomack, Oct 10, 2005.

1. basilwomack

Sep 12, 2005
    this is more of a pet peeve rant than anything, but what is everyone's policy on sharing rigs? I keep finding myself in situations where there are multiple bands playing, and the club owner or show promoter just says "oh we'll share bass rigs and drums to speed things up" without even really asking. I just bought a brand new Gk 1001rb-ii and 410 RBH and love both, and don't want to have anyone use it but me. In fact, I made a personal no-sharing policy, and at the risk of the ******* soundman thinking I don't know anything about how shows are run because I'm a girl, I'm not letting anyone use my rig, and likewise I'm not using anyone else's (except for a friend or two whom I know and trust)....It just seems ridiculous to me that people would expect me to share $1000+ equipment with complete strangers. This weekend, one of my bands played the Mid-Atlantic Music Conference in Charlotte, NC, and I just decided to play dumb and set up my rig before the soundman could tell me not to....

anyway, does everyone else feel the same way, or am i being anal?
  2. Amps . . . id never want to share with anyone
    Cabs . . . only if i know them well and know they wont screw it up
    Bass's . . . just, no, never

thats my feelings on the matters, you paid alot of good money for your equipment, why let someone else do that, if they want a good soudn they can get thier own gear, if a club owner wants to speed things up tell him to get his/her own backline
  3. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I agree, it should be your choice, its a bit lame when you're put in that situation and don't want to share your gear. I personally don't let anyone use my rig anymore, unless I know them. Everytime I get guilted/pressured into letting someone else use my rig, something bad happens.

Just ask the soundman/venue manager for a written agreement that if anything goes wrong, they'll assume all liability. You'll find that you'll be using your rig and not sharing with that in place.
  4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I let my son (a budding bassist) use my rig, but never my axe. He's got his own MIM Jazz bass, so he ain't touching my StingRay until I become worm food.
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I've been the beneficiary of rig sharing, and I'm not opposed to it in principle. Other players have been pretty generous with me, and I generally go with the flow. Even still, I'd share my entire rig only if I knew the band and knew they were a responsible bunch. Otherwise, I'd limit it to my cabinet (SWR Goliath III), and I'd want to: (1) make sure the player had a decent head and speaker cable; and (2) participate in the setup to avoid problems.
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    If I play, I play my rig...unless I'm trying something out...and that is almost never for a gig.

If someone else wants to use my depends on how they act towards me....

and no matter what...their hands don't touch it. I run my gear.
  7. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    why do you automatically assume the soundperson will be an ass about it? you're creating a bad vibe from the start with that attitude.
    gotta try to make friends with the sound people, believe me,
    it's a really good idea.
    just be firm about your own sound and what you do, and you should be fine.
    you will run into situations where you may use other backline,
    it's bound to happen, i would suggest walking into each situation
    with an open mind.
    and definitely don't be afraid to say "no, sorry, no one uses my rig but me"
  8. couldn´t have said it better myself!

it´s quite funny with these bass or guitarplayers who don´t have any equipment. even after years of playing, relying on others to constantly loan their stuff.
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

Of course WE all know that you don't know how shows are run because you TOLD us that you're a newbe to the business...

Do you think that prefix of yours always goes along with the word "Soundman"? ..No wait: "because I'm a girl"... Oh! Are you a MAN-hater?

Well, anyway: I run the sound system at a local Coffee House that has open-mics and shows that let KIDS LIKE YOU have a chance to be heard on a real stage, and I'm always happy to let any of them use my GK rig (Not my bass, generally - that's different. It is.). I have'em come up to me after their band plays, and tell me what a thrill it was to feel that authoritve low-end at their back, and clearly hear every note they play through that JBL cab!

I'm happy to help-out. I wonder if any of them are calling me names behind my back..

Anyway - I'd be careful about it maybe if there's somone there who's.. I dunno - a vicious vandal or something, who'd what?.. just walk-over and flip the volume-knob up all the way or something! Who are these people? Are they mean? You seem kind of mean.

I mean it would be sort of weird for someone to just expect you lend your rig to strangers.. Would you be right-there, or..? What kind of situation is that, though - like some battle-of-the-bands or something?

10. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I let one guy borrow my 1200S for practices and shows until he picks up his new amp (which I am going to go look at today for him)

His bandmates used to be my bandmates so I know they will take care of my amp for me and I don't have to worry.

Cabs - Never. I find that most people push their cabs too hard and damage speakers when a simple eq change can let you be louder without farting out.

Basses - only my beater backup I let others play
  11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I hate playing through anything but my own stuff, so if the gig is better served by sharing I volunteer my rig. The only downside is when we're headlining and I have to stand in the drool left on the stage by all the bassplayers who used my rig before me.
  12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Actually, after re-reading your post. I think you need to stand up and make your voice heard to whoever is running the show.

Don't get mad at the soundman for doing his job.

Feel free to be mad at the club'll always find support :smug:

Gotta buddy up with the least until you can afford a huge rig and a roadie so that you don't need him :cool:
  13. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I find it best to try and look at the 'Big Picture' before making any decisions. Sometimes I share my rig (Mesa 400/EV B-410), sometimes I plug into the rig that's on stage, sometimes I just go direct into the board. But the first thing I do is find out what the sound guy needs from me. What I do is just go in with my bass, talk to the sound guy, and then bring in the gear I'll be using. This way, I don't have to look like a jerk if I find I don't want to lend out my amp because either A) I can see that some of the other bands don't care for their own gear very much, or B) I just don't have an extra seven hours to spend watching other local bands. Which brings me to this: the sound guy has to be there until the last band is done, and, while I'm sure it's theoretically possible, the reality is one or more of the bands playing are going to piss him off, because, let's face it, we all think we know what's best, and we don't want some dude who can't even play bass telling us differently. Of course, I can't run sound, especially when I'm playing, and God knows how many idiot musicians the sound guy has had to deal with before me, and presumably I like my band and perhaps even the guys in my band, so I have to ask myself this one important question: Do I really want to give the sound guy to make us sound like crap, or do I want him to help us do the best gig we can?

Also, I don't know about you, but I've made more than one friend by sharing an amp at a gig, and I've been asked by some of these friends to fill in on occasion, so IMHO, it has been worth it.

As for comfort levels and using rigs other than my own...what can I say? Between me and my bass, I'm confident I can find a tone that will get me through the gig. I know I wasn't confident in the past, but I've been over that for a long time now. I think using an unfamiliar amp for the first time ever on a gig has helped me learn a lot more about stuff than just trying it out in a store. Plus, the gig is NOT about my amp. I want to think I sound good because of my ability; I don't want to think my amp (or bass) is covering for me.

I draw the line at sharing basses, though; that's more personal somehow. But, I'm a lefty, so it hasn't come up anyway. :D
  14. Grow up, dude. How would you like it if you went to do a festival second stage PA gig and the show promoter decides without consulting you that YOUR brand new monitors are going on the end of some other band's half-dead CS800 because they don't have wedges? basilwomack spent alot of her hard-earned money on her rig for HER, not for the public at large and it's NOT unreasonable of her to be protective of her gear. It also sounds like YOU are the one that has a problem with her being a girl. Man hater? Sounds more like a moron soundguy hater to me.

I've shared my rig happily if I trust the other player or they've been in a jam, but NEVER just because the soundguy thinks it'll make things "easier." I don't care how LAZY a soundguy is; it's his job to present each individual BAND, NOT the soundguy's most convenient stage setup or attempt to show off his rig. Thankfully I've never had to ask for help from an OLD GUY LIKE YOU (don't cry about it; I'm old, too) because I'm always prepared, but if I should ever have to play your stage, you'll learn VERY quickly not to get on the bad side of a redneck with an SVT and a backup or ten.

With your attitude, they OUGHT to! :rolleyes:

Lessee; basilwomack is worried about being made to share her rig without consulting her and she's mean, but YOU can insult her for asking a legitimate question because it offends your VERY thin-skinned attitude you have against anyone who has encountered one of the legions of crappy soundpeople and wants to avoid a bad situation and not be mean, right?

Yeah... that's the VERY point she made. Howsabout cutting a newbie a little slack?
  15. If I know the player and how he plays and how he treats his own gear, he can have at the rig. Never the basses, unless they had the misfortune of a broken string...
  16. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've let one person play through my rig when they opened for us, but he seemed like a responsible guy that knew what he was doing.......and it turned out just fine. Also he asked very nicely and was sure to thank me several times for letting him use it.
  17. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Sure, I've used my gear for backline at various events before. I'm *always* on stage for setup and soundcheck though and I talk to the players before they even plug in.

I've loaned out my basses on a few ocassions, but only to people I greatly trust and respect.

As far as someone else playing without my permission, when I'm done playing, I tear my rig down.
  18. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had this happen once. I was playing at a church that had a friday night service and 2 Sunday services, so I left my Redhead on stage for the whole weekend. When I showed up on Sunday, I could see it had been messed with, and that did not go over too well with me. The guy who "borrowed" it was in a signed band (their singer was the pastor's son), and they just showed up that Saturday, knowing everything would be just sitting there for them to use. I guess the idiot thought I would be flattered that he deigned to use my poor little amp. I set him straight on that account.
  19. Depends on the circumstances, if I know the people, or the caliber of players and feel comfortable, AND am willing to stay to keep an eye on things, maybe.

And a coffee house gig jam as mentioned before is not even remotely comparable. Very few coffee house gigs are loud as hell. My concern is blowing something up, amps have protection circuits built in to protect them, very hard to damage an amp. A cab can be ruined in short order. The danger is inexperienced bunch playing too loud for the equipment.

I was part of the house band for a jam session for a long time, people wondered why the heck I was bringing the whole stack, why not just bring a small practice rig, something I don't mind if it gets goofed up?

Because I don't want ANY of my stuff goofed up, including practice amps. I brought my "A" rig cause I knew it could safely get as loud as anyone was liable to want, it had enough "headroom" (speaker, AND amp) to handle anything anyone wanted to dish out. And I still put the compressor on a little earlier, with a little more compression to take the edge off. And I stuck around, never afraid to tell someone they were "too loud". I'd put it as "you're drowning out the guitar", so it was for the good of their band. Not "Turn my stuff down cause I said so", not that I wouldn't press the issue, I'd be happy to, its just cause I figured I'd get less resistance from the "good of the band" approach.

Pros will not likely be an issue, they know enough to turn down so they can hear everyone ELSE in the band. Its the amateurs that only care about hearing themselves you have to worry about.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    At shows, nobody ever shares their instrument, period. Usually there is a cab that everyone plugs their head into to save time, it could be the house cab or it could be just one of the band's, sometimes it's mine. If there is a band whose bass player doesn't have a head (usually the younger bands :smug: ) I will usually let him use my head, after I of course make sure he knows how to use it.