1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

[sharing is groovy] MyAdjustableMetronome

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by ctrlzjones, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    I'd like to share a tool that I am using a lot lately and that is magically improving my understanding of what is 'groove'
    a great deal.

It is a metronome that plays a pattern of accents which can be turned on/off in a 16 measure grid.
    The idea is to play with it, then have the pattern silenced by unchecking the accented pattern for a number of measures and then activate that playback again to see of you are still where you are supposed to: on the beat.

I wrote in Max/MSP on a Mac so unfortunatly it is OS X only. If you are flying on Windows and are into Max (or know somebody that is) I'd be happy to send you the patch that I used as source.

Also note that this is total gamma-ware; not meant to be public in any way.
    but if you have trouble using it please tell and I will try to help.
    I am not really a programmer; but I like to make things that help me working that I cannot find elsewhere.

And also note, that the GUI is not really a beauty. I always found that it is the inner values that count;-)

please download it here:

MyMetro

May it be as helpful for you as it is for me & my playing ...

2. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Thanks! I'm on my phone right now but I'll definitely check it out when I get home!

3. Just downloaded this, it seems very cool but I need a few more instructions. Could you clarify how to operate it? Thanks for this, I'm excited

4. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    I just see your post now, sorry for being so late.
    what do need to now?

- first line is speed (bpm)
    - second line is on off (with the space key)/ time signature / volume / pattern sound
    - third line is on/off switch for 16 measures sequence.

you can save presets with shift-click and recall them with a click

and, yes is more like a 'prototype' ... but it works and I use it quite frequently.