1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sharing rehersal takes with band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dlstyley, May 12, 2010.

1. dlstyley

dlstyley

Aug 30, 2009
    South Texas
    I'm in an all-originals band. When we rehearse, I usually record our live takes with a couple of ambient mics so everyone can have a reference and something to practice to. I find that if I just listen to the songs a few times, it significantly reduces the need for practice.

My problem is that I'd like a more convenient way to share these tracks as sending giant attachments via email is bad netiquette if not downright prohibited by some email providers.

I know there are tons of music sharing sites, but does anyone know of one that allows you to share tracks privately with just your band members? Seems like a very logical service to provide on a muscian's website...

2. Although it's not private, the easiest hassle-free way (IMO) is to use the webspace provided by my ISP (I get 100 mB) to share songs and stuff. I just upload it using an ftp app and email links to people I want to get it. After a week or so I delete it to save space.

If necessary, I guess I'd put it into a password protected zip or rar file but I confess I'm not that concerned with security; nothing I put on there is that sensitive that I care if a stranger gets ahold of it..

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Setup an FTP server and let them login to get it. It's free and not too difficult.

Look HERE

Or you could also try something like this: http://free.file-works.com/

It should be free as well.

4. This is a free program/service that will let you set up your PC as a remote media library and allow access from anywhere with a login and password. Your end of it is fairly easy to set up and as private as you could hope for. You can stream or download.

http://www.orb.com

5. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Check with your ISP. Mine provides a "Media Store & Share" feature that allows private, invitation-only distribution for all types of media. Works great for us. I just upload rehearsal/gig MP3s and pics, select the invitees, and it sends out an email with a link that allows them to be played/viewed directly or downloaded.

6. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    FTP site is the way to go..

7. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Some good suggestions above - I've also used www.yousendit.com - the account is free and the folks on the receiving end don't need to sign up to download the files.

Unless you're good with PC and firewall security I'd try to avoid turning your home PC into an FTP server or open it up for access for outside users. (I'm an IT guy by day).

8. Do you have an old PC or Laptop sitting around?

My project records everything as well...two mics itno a little mixer the straight to a PC. Then we have thumb drives/CDs so we can burn everyone a copy at the end of the night.

9. Use Google Wave.

10. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    dropbox.com is amazing, and will solve all the problems anyone responding to this thread ever had... except for loss of first love.

11. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    i use archive.org open source audio. upload the whole practice, tag it as temp file (goes away in 30days) and share the link with the band.

12. Everyone get a small USB hard drive $8-15. Hand them in at rehearsal for refilling.

13. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  14. dlstyley

dlstyley

Aug 30, 2009
    South Texas
    Great suggestions everyone! Thank you. I don't know why I hadn't thought of regular old file sharing services... I was going down the path of something specific to musicians, but duh... they are just files. Thanks!

I still contend that one of these sites that caters to musicians should have a way to post private music files along with some collaborative tools, but the suggestions above will work great. Thank you

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    dropbox.com

16. Gmail: get a band account and mail it to yourself (the band mail).

That way you guys can use the calendar and such too... and share everything you do