Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sharing the glories of a new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Oct 14, 2004.

1. I currently have a Peavey Firebass, a 2x10(GK) and a 1x15(SWR). Both cabs are of the 'budget' versions. I'm not too happy about my current rig. Its too heavy (Firebass alone 25KG! (50 Pounds!)

So I'm gonna trade all of it for a brand new rig consisting of:

Ashdown MAG-300H (300W Head, 4Ohms)
    Hartke 2200 (300W@4Ohms, Freq. Response 29Hz -> 16KHz)

Even though the cab is 2x12, it has a tweeter too; I was a bit aprehensive about it lacking hihg-end.

So, ya, thats it, what do y'all think? Any major qualms?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd personally be concerned about the frequency response of the Hartke. The specs you posted mean nothing, what is its -3db point? When I tried one of those cabs out a year or two ago, I was less than impressed. I think that for the same price, you can do much better for a cab.

3. Firstly, rememeber I'm in the UK, here things are EXPENSIVE used or otherwise.

With respect to the frequency response an the -3dB point, I'm assuming thats what they mean by frequncy response from 29Hz to 16kHz (Thats the way I've seen it elsewhere.)

Any specific cab suggestions then?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were in the UK. Whole different bag of choices and prices over there.

As to the -3db point, understand that while any two cabs can have a CAPABILITY of going down to 29hz, the slope of frequency range drop below 100hz can be very steep or more shallow. The -3db point typically refers to the point where the frequency drops by 3 decibels before it drops at an even steeper rate. Though it can go down to 29hz, it might lose so many decibels before it gets there that you could almost not hear anything in that range at all given the same amount of power. I got the impression from playing through that cab that the -3db point was around 90hz or so, pretty high, which means less low end.

5. I'd originally though of getting the 215XL, taking your comments into considerations, I would prob. get that instead. However, it only goes up to 1kHz. So, I'm stumped.

6. What about some Ashdown cabs? Are they made in the UK?

7. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA

The 2200 is by far the best cab that hartke sells. The 12's are thumpy, low and clean. A very solid design and sounds low enough for a 5er. I have an eden 212 and this box is right up there is sound quality but not in power handling.

danman

8. I like the way the 2200 looks aesthetically and on paper. I'm a bit worried about power handling though, will it do the 300W it says? Are they efficient?

9. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I can't be of much help there I never really turned it up that much in the shop. I would say that I think you will be ok pushing 3/4 volume though. Just make sure your amp isn't clipping.

danman