SharkB8's Killer BEE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SharkB8, Apr 20, 2005.

1. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    After venturing just about to hell (and back) looking, playing, ordering, returning, various basses/eubs, etc. I just decided that I'm not going to find exactly what I want unless I have something made. As many of you know, that's where the fun, agony, pain, torment, anguish & sleeplessness starts. So, as usual, ran down the usual made to order suspects, prices, options, build time, etc. and narrowed down the list. So, after weeks of back and forth, here and there....(drumroll please)...

It's gonna be, BEE! Talked with Fred and a few others, and mailed off my deposit and spec sheet, so I'm official!

Larry (superwood) Davis will handle the procurement duties (as he has so aptly done before, with AMAZING results).
    Fred will suply the talent and energy to make this thing fly.

Here's the run down:

6 string single cut fretless w/modified body style for better seated position.
    Body woods TBD in the next few days...was going to go Alder, w/ Walnut top...but in light of some certain woods Larry is looking will change....
    "Acrylized" freboard with "progressive" inlay...not a full lined fretless, this will be very cool.
    Flame maple, multi piece neck
    Nordstrand Fat Stacks with the new Bee-Pre
    Satin finish

All in all, this is going to be a great project. I'll post pics (if they're available) and post progress over the coming months. BEE owners feel free to chime in. Heck, anyone chime in!!!

It's gonna be a ride!!!
  2. Oooooooo Shark!! That could be a very serious bass!! :bassist:

I like the partial lines on a fingerboard or no lines at all. Both of those look great.

What can you tell me about the Bee Pre?
  3. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Fred just replaced the OBP-3 in my ThunderBee with the new preamp and I think it is fantastic. It's an 18v preamp (designed specifically for 18v, that is), very, very clean. Mine is bass, mid, treble with a toggle switch for the mid EQ point. I went with 250hz and 750hz. Not totally sure what the low and high points are. I can turn the highs completely up and there's not a shred of hiss. The lows are nice and meaty.

I tried a few other basses at NAMM that have the new pre and they sounded killer too.

Check it out!!
  4. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    I'm still kinda on the fence about lines. Maybe I'll go without 'em. Definately didn't want full lines, after talking with Fred, he's done the progressive line thing and said it looks great...maybe I'll get pics!!!

Oh and I forgot to add...

SET NECK w/graphite bars....

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is the modification I've been waiting for! Looking forward to seeing what Fred comes up with.
  6. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    I'll upload some pics (at least the new outlines) when we have something firmed up. I sent some pics to fuel him...should be killer.

Oh, and I forgot...Hipshot Style A bridge 3/4" spacing @ the bridge, and UL BLACK!
  7. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I won't be able to sleep at night until I see some pics!
    HURRY (please)

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Not a singlecut, but here's my "KneeBee" as Fred and I have been calling it.... I talked to Fred the last couple of NAMMs and my only complaint with his instruments is I can't play them sitting down. He agreed to modify his bodystyle for me and started this bass in January. Who knows maybe it will be a new body option?

I'll make an official thread and take some pics when it's in my hands next month. It's a 9-string and it has a shorter scale length like GBC's (33" - 28") w/ a Nordstrand Pickup and Bee Pre. Tuning: Low B - high Eb.

SharkB8 - will be interested in seeing what he comes up with for the singlecut. Bee Basses are great instruments, I'm sure you'll dig it.
  9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    OMG, when are you gonna stop pulling out rabbits from that hat dude? :eek:
  10. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    Ok to all playing along. This is going to be the top. Burled Walnut...mmmmmm.....stencil is for a worker bee, mine will be single cut w/a different lower bout.
  11. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Wow that is going to be stunning!
  12. Hey Shark, I'd be interested in understanding why you went with Bee for this one rather than getting Jake to make you another bass.

...always looking for opinions on, and options for future projects!
  13. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    No prob. Enquiring minds. I talked to Jake 1st. I really wanted another Marchlewski, I really did. I tried to cajole and coax him, but his backlog and new order timeframe puts him at 1 1/2 years (or more) for new stuff.

So, I went back to the drawing board, did the research all over again, put all my thoughts on paper (pro's and cons of each builder) and came up with BEE. Fred seems really great to work with, and I can't wait!!!
  14. Holy crap! Looks like I'm going to have to start shopping for my next project too because I was hoping to get somehting going early in 2006! I think this one will be a 5 stringer but I don't know if I'll go for the single cut, much like your last one or some "older" more traditional design.
  15. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Well...... crap..... I used to think my ThunderBee was fairly radical with some great looking woods. After seeing the walnut and Jean's fretboard, I'm feeling pretty plain.

I feel like Fred has been holding out some of his cooler stuff. He's going to be hearing from me!
  16. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Thats a great lookig top!
    Ive only had my Bee for a short time but I really like it. For me the neck is as good as it gets. Congrats.
  17. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    You've got nothing to be ashamed of wyliee...your ThunderBee is smokin'. And Fred's not holding out....he doesn't have this walnut...Larry "superwood" Davis ( has got me on the hook...(at least on my stuff)..can't speak for Jean's fretboard (or where it came from)....

Just wait...more to come!!!

18. Oh my..... :eek:

Very cool, Jean!! Can't wait to hear your impressions.
  19. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    So, after a seriously enjoyable time with LSD (that's Larry Superwood Davis, btw, his wood selection is probably equally addictive, ;) ) tap toning different woods, I've chosen....

Butternut! For the body wood of the bass. I had no idea how much of a difference there was in the tap tone of different species. It was a blast! Larry picked out 5 different samples of wood...tapped them, we went back and forth, and I tabulated my preferences. Only after we were done did he reveal the woods. It was a real good time (ok, I'm twisted). Just one issue....Larry slipped in a peice of old growth brazillian rosewood, that sounded like a church bell when he tapped it. I shouted OH OH OH, what the heck was that?? Then he fessed up...he threw a ringer in there.

There was a body of Papua New Guinea Walnut that sounded especially intriguing, more high end clarity than the butternut, rang out really clear, but the low frequency didn't carry as well. For someone looking for an alternative to ash, this may well be the ticket!

I'd like to throw out my sincerest thanks to Larry. He spent a lot of time on the phone just talking, he's one of the coolest people you'll meet...and genuinely nice person who loves what he does, and it shows.

He's the master.

Here's a sample of the butternut.
  20. Shark,
    This bass will be too outrageous to play!! You'll have to just hang it on the wall like some trophy!!

I think Chris Stambaugh also likes butternut (for basses, not the candy!)

When do the woods get sent to Bee?