Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SharkB8's Sleek Six! Marchlewski Style!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SharkB8, Dec 17, 2004.

1. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    **Disclaimer: This is going to be a long read**

PART I: The PAIN.
    I am a patient man. I am an honest man. I am a man who has tried to do most things right in his life. So, how is it that I get handed such a raw deal as this? Let me explain....

I live in a (relatively) small town, on a quiet street, at the end of a cul de sac, up on a hill...nothing much happens here. I used to work at home. The highlight of the day was hearing the only traffic up my street, daily visits from UPS or FedEx, or some wayward sap who took a wrong turn. In each instance the lure of excitement was coming down my road, would it be a delivery to me? To my neighbor? What's coming? The joy, the anticipation....everyone knows who is getting what....like I said, nothing much goes on here. For those who are unitiated. I ordered my Marchlewski at the end of May 2004. Work on it began in June 2004...I have waited, patiently for the day to arrive where the parcel delivery driver would bring my dreams in a box, neatly wrapped, and waiting for me to explore the low notes deep in my soul.

Today was that day.

It began like any other day, except for the fact, that, anticipating it's arrival, I took the day off to be here for said post man, to greet him with a warm 'Merry Christmas' and glad tidings of multi-stringed glory, wrapped in wood and electronics. So, how is it that this very week, 2 of my close neighbors decided to start home renovation projects (one is getting a pool, the other a whole new 2 story addition)? Nothing happens on my street. Yet today, I am filled with sounds of dump trucks, contractors, Forklifts, Pallet trucks, and every other god forsaken trade within a 100 mile radius. With each rev of any engine I spring from what I'm doing and rush to the front door! After hours of this absurd behavior, I am close to passing out...my blood pressure is probably sky high, my legs burning, and getting dizzier with each leap to the door. The package is supposed to be here by 10:30. It's 10:32, it's not here. What in the world did I do to deserve such anguish, such pain? I am beside myself. My wife is in and out taking kids around town, school parties and such, as I lay catatonic, only to be roused by the next insufferable tradesmen hell bend on mocking my very existence with each rev of his work truck.

Sons a B*&%$es!!!

11:00 am, no bass. I fear all is lost, I am now going to have to be put to sleep. My package is missing, and thus, my soul. Oh the agony! 11:30....nothing, only the constant pull of the forces of evil aligning against me, and the mocking of engines as they pass....I feel I'm slipping into the abyss...a no mans land of purgatory....

Just as I am beginning to flatline...I am jolted to reality. Some crazed maniac is trying to back up my ski slope driveway and skidding his wheels..SUCKER!!! "Ha ha" I laugh, as I calmy saunter to the window to see the poor sod stuck..

"GOOD LORD!" I gasp...It's the DHL MAN!! He has given up and parked his truck. Opens the back and sifts through the mismanaged pile of meaningless rabble, retrieving a long slender box from the bowels of his Econoline van! I spring to life, my savior!!! With a hearty hello, he then explained that he's sorry he's late, something about plane delays...something about dense fog...yeah yeah dude, give me the box! I rush inside.

2. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    dude... your leaving us hangin... hahaha :)

and...

(waits patiently for the rest of the story.)

3. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Part II: Redemption

The box was none the worse for wear. A couple of bent corners, nothing much. I gingerly open the box. I pull out the black case from the clutches of what seems to be the entire stock of packing peanuts delivered to North America for the holiday season. I open the case....

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

LOL !!
    great story , funny as hell .
    really , post more pictures a.s.a.p.
    that is all ... over and out :cool:

5. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Good night!! Holy $*&%!! Mother Mary on a biscuit!!! This is amazing!! I turn her over....

6. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    See why I stood and stared for a few minutes??? that first pic was exactly what I was seeing.

7. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Not knowing the zenith on my joy...I fumble with the strap locks in the case. I get my strap, I take off the other locks, I am struggling with putting the new ones on....

"WAKE UP YOU MORON!!!" Who said that? I realize that she is laying there ready, willing, and I'm fumbling with strap locks? Good Lord, what have I become? Safety be damned, I'm going for it!!!

Finding my best cable, tuning her up....feeling the fine contours...plugging her in...

There it is.

What I've been waiting for....

8. wow!! this thing got you all aroused, just make sure you don't get any of it on the new bass... :bag:

9. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    how does that MF sound man !!!!

10. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Here's where it REALLY gets good....

I am new to the 6 string bass, never had one. Yet it is somehow very familiar (must be my G***ar slinging yester years). I look over every inch of the bass. It is a sight. I am not new to custom instruments, I have been blessed to have had some very amazing guitars over the years by very gifted luthiers. This is NO exception. Very detailed, very precise, more than I expected. Far more.

The tones coaxed from this beauty are absolutely pure and unadulterated bass. Every string, every note...consistent, both in clarity and presence. Nothing sticking out....no dead spots, no issues. Fit/finish/Fretwork, all exemplary. The fretboard is as smooth as glass. Coupled with the Elixir strings, this is a sliders paradise.

Imagine an F-Bass slap tone. Oh my fellow bottom feeders, its there. Deep DUB bass? check. Jaco mids 16th note finger fest? Oh yeah. Amazing Grace harmonics? Yep. Everything I wanted and asked for, it's there. 'Cept for one thing. Most of the time DUB bass sounds are mostly indistinct. Not here. Tonal properties of the low end are retained, sure, but it's clear, in fact, clear as a bell. No muddyness, no indistinct rumbling. Just deep, clear, tone....

Mind you I've only had this beauty for a few hours, and I've got a full slate of gigs starting tonight, and going all weekend long...gospel choir, trios, etc.

Should get a good sense of how she does around others, but I have no doubt she'll be great. With looks like that, and a voice thats angelic, clear and luscious, how could she not?

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Pretty bass! I love the wood...

You should try to start a writing career! ;) :D

12. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Congrats!

Absoultely amazing.

It also was a joy to read the post.

At first I thought it was going to be a bad review...."how is it that I get handed such a raw deal as this" , but i'm glad it wasn't.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    That's a freaking awesome bass, man... congrats!!

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I think I just wet myself (take that any way you want...)

Congrats, she's a beauty!!

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I guess that means you kinda like it just a little, huh?

16. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Just a little ;)
    Marcus Miller slap tone for DAYS on end. Just played a couple MM tracks and the tone is right on. Chords just leap from this bass!

~In heaven~

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  18. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    You know, I'd be jealous if I didn't have one, as well. ;)

It looks fantastic, Shark. Jacob can make a bass, huh?

19. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey, what are the specs of this bass?