Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sharkfin Picks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 18, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mods: I didn't know where to post this, please feel free to move it as you see fit.

This question is about Sharkfin picks. The "real" ones (made in Sweden), not the cheap Tortex imitations.

AFAIK, the Sharkfin picks come in three flavors, light (orange), medium (blue), and heavy (black). I use the blue ones, and have occasionally used the black ones, but haven't yet tried the light ones.

The question is about the tiny little hole in the pick, on the shark fin picking edge.

My understanding is that this hole is there to increase the responsiveness of the pick. For my purposes, it works like a charm. I haven't seen any other picks with holes in 'em.

Here's the questions:

Does anyone know of any other picks that have a hole like this?

Has anyone drilled holes into their picks to get better responsiveness?

Does anyone know who are the authorized US dealers for the Sharkfin brand picks?

2. Watch out when swimmimg man, sharks got a crazy sense of Karma......

I dont mean to be rude, but thats a magnificent animal you strummimg with.......

imo imo imo imo imoimo imo imo imo imoimo imo imo imo imo

3. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I would think the hole is for a better grip. Anyway a guitarist friend of mine has a surfpick, and he is happy with it.
    check it out if you like: http://www.surfpick.com

4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Cool. Here's a pic of the one I had in mind. Also I found a Dutch dealer (link attached, it's the first pick on the top of the page, although I've never seen the white version before).

http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/picks.html

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I never knew there were any other ones other then the dunlop ones. My guitarist has been using the tortex fins since he started playing guitar. I think he likes them becuase he is able to use the curvy side for strumming chords and he uses one of the points for single notes. If you ever do find a US store that sells them, drop me a pm, He might be interested.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    here are some pics that I have used that have a hole for better grip. They work really well. I used to use Gorilla Snot, but it was too gummy for me.

[​IMG]

8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, interesting picks. Well, the hole in the Sharkfin has nothing to do with the grip. It's on the playing end of the pick, and it's designed to make the pointy tip more flexible and responsive. I just checked my drill bits, it looks like about a 1/16" hole (or whatever the closest metric equivalent is).

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, I would just use a thinner pick for that. Or a different material. Like dunlop nylons

10. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i had a sharfin pick when i played guitar and used the opposite end to where the hole is, i found using the smaller end strange. i once had a large triangulr pick which i drilled small holes into, largely as i was messing around wit the drill rather than for a purpose, i drill 3 holes of 1/8" and found it actually to have a poorer response than before.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Unless these picks have four little strings, this should be in Misc. Moved.

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, looks like that killed the thread.

Still looking for a US dealer...