Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sharp Frets on new essex...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slick519, Dec 1, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I just bought my new essex j bass, and the first thing i noticed is that the frets are a bit sharp. I know that many other people have essex basses with the same problem, and I am wondering how they remedied the problem.

Well thank you for the help!
    slicks

2. Sharp frets as in they stick out a little bit from the side of the fretboard and cut you when you move your ahnd across the neck?

3. What I've done for this is take a small file (usually inexpensive, imported, ¼" wide, flat) and done each end individually. The fret material is pretty soft up against a file so you don't have to do much. Just make sure that you round the edges to the neck finish without getting into the wood too far. I've got 3 Essex necks here and all of the maple fretboards need a bit of dressing but the rosewood doesn't. Go figger.

Pretty simple - go slow. And don't do what a lot of inexperienced folks do and that's filing too much off. You should be able to get the rounding and blending with about 3 or 4 light strokes. Keep the file rolling across the end of the fret. If you don't get it with that, and you are down to the wood at the edge, don't keep filing in hopes that something will change. Just stop and chalk it up to gaining experience.

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hey thanks,

slicks

5. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    It's a good idea to protect the fretboard with masking tape any time you're doing fret working.Also following up the file with 600 and 1200 grit sandpaper to make the fret ends super smooth.