Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sharp frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My SX has developed some severly sharp frets. I think it's the humidity or heat in my house. Anyhow - do I need to take this to someone qualifiied, or can I just file them myself? If I do file them myself what kind of file should I go out and buy, and what (if any) precautions do I need to take.

Basically: How do I fix this myself?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you can most likely handle it yourself Joe. Jus tbe real careful of the finish. Mask off the wood and use a file.... maybe take it to Nino if you choose not to do it yourself?

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I had this problem once. I think the problem was winter dryness in the apartment I had at the time. First before you touch the bass, get a humidifer, one that can run all day without needing a refill. This may take care of it.

But what you can also try is get a flat miniature file, tape of the fretboard, and file very carefully. However, I would rather take the bass to a professional I trusted than do this again. It's very hard to do it without marking the fretboard. In my case, I used micro-grit papers to smooth out marks, but it's risky procedure.

4. grab one of the fret guards for a couple bucks from stew-mac and some 800 grit paper and knock those bad boys down!

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Definitely use a good solid cover for the wood, and flie slowly. If you file off end of the tang, it shouldn't come back later.

6. R.Lee

R.Lee

Nov 12, 2005
    oHIo
    It's the lack of humidity. Woods dried out more and shrank. Easy fix use one of stew mac's tools to make it really simple.
    I have to do it often on imported insterments.