Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sharp MD battery life

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by leanne, Nov 14, 2004.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I have a Sharp MD-SR60 minidisc recorder, and I realized (the hard way) tonight that a brand new Duracell battery will not last the duration of one minidisc. The unit only takes a single AA battery. It lasted slightly less than an hour. I don't have an AC adaptor currently.

The back of the unit says "DC 12V (nickel-metal hydride battery); DC 1.5V =/..., LR6(size AA)."
    Is there some other battery that would last longer?

FWIW, next time I'll be plugging it in... :(

2. i have a sharp MD recorder. Doesn't your have a rechargeable battery? the rectangular ones last a long, long time on a single charge-long enough to record at least a dozen MDs.

the battery adaptor mine has takes a AA and I have no idea how long it lasts. never had to use it.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Make sure that while recording you have playback volume and bass boost both set to ZERO. That keeps the headphone amp from sucking juice.

The more time you spend paused or writing the TOC the faster the battery will run down. I.e. recording one disc straight through will use less juice than if you start and stop a lot.

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks guys, I think I know what may have contributed to the problem. I now remember that it did come with a rechargeable battery, but I didn't know how to charge it. I bought it used, and not all the accessories were included.

Also, I had the bass boost at 3 and the playback volume was probably maxed--does it activate the headphone amp even if no headphones are plugged in? AND, I had the sound guy start the recording, so he set it up, paused, and left it that way for a while until the band started.

Hopefully next time will be better, thanks.