Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shaving a neck? (with a bic razor!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Sep 23, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hello There, Is it possible to shave a neck to make is slimmer? I got a Fender Jazz Deluxe bass the pther day and the neck is quite thick (bit of a suprise)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I shave my neck every day - but it never seems to get any slimmer!! ;)

3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Let a pro do that if you have to, you should have tried the bass before you bought it, if you alter it you will greatly reduce its value if you ever plan on selling or trading it in the future.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I don´t think a razor would help in shaving the neck. Unless you´ve got some huge stash of blades and endless patience!

I recommend that you go see a local luthier and have him do it. These guys know what they are doing (in most cases).

Edit: Doh! Cogno beat me too it!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or unless you're going for that Jaco (signature custom shop) relic'd look!! :D

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think neck shaving is usually accomplished with a rasp or a spoke shave...

7. I've done this several times. I take P width necks and make the J width's while I duplicate the profile of the '62 J reissues. Works great! But you've got to be careful or bad things can happen.